Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feds to give county $19.5M for Mamalahoa Highway
I wasn't aware traffic was an issue in Waimea. Yet Pahoa access is what it is.

http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/local-ne...y-widening
quote:
Originally posted by alaskyn66

I wasn't aware traffic was an issue in Waimea. Yet Pahoa access is what it is.

http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/local-ne...y-widening

Oh yeah, this will be a welcome improvement to an area that can become a real bottleneck.

Road work is expensive, yes? Wow.
traffic was an issue in Waimea

Never forget that the northern districts "pay most of the property taxes" and are therefore more deserving of .... Federal highway funds.
Instead of Puna district they should call it dog crap district ..(maybe they already do) where are the representitives for this district and what do they do all freaking day..

Even homeless people can get federal benefits... why can't Puna?
"Even homeless people can get federal benefits... why can't Puna?"

Those federal benefits don't just fall out of the sky. It takes competent local, state, and federal politicians working together to get projects identified and funded. Puna has neither the competent representation required on any of those levels nor the coordination between them to get anything done. Democratic machine politics in Hawaii is geared for rewarding the politicians, government workers, and unions. Everything else comes somewhere way behind that. And just in case you think I am a Republican, think again. I was once a strong Democrat, but Hawaii politics have made me an Independent.
Traffic safety on Mamalahoa Highway is a serious issue in that area.
The previous work from Waimea Town to Mana Rd. has been very helpful, according to friends
who live in the area. And yes it was done at night for the most part.
The further 2.8 miles going east, Mana Rd. to Mud Lane, would be equally valuable apparently.
However, 130 is a disaster even with the such "improvements" that have been made on it, and at the
cost of daywork on the project.
What say you, Ed Sniffen, HDOT?
|Traffic safety on Mamalahoa Highway is a serious issue in that area|

Nine out of ten times I go to hilo, I see an ambulance coming from pahoa area ( almost everday) granted not all calls are traffic related..but I'd bet most are..

I have friends in Pahoa I'd like to visit ( I'm in mountain view).. but it's far easier to parasail down there than drive.