Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are appliance warranties a waste of time?
I bought an extended warranty from HD on a new washer I bought, I bought the washer then a week later paid 100 bucks for the 5 year warranty... Problem, was the warranty wasn't attached to the machine, I guess the person at HD was lazy or something, and it was just a blank warranty. So, I pretty much threw it in the trash a few phone calls to HD. But........ Apparently the "splutch" goes out that is made out of plastic gears on pretty much all maytag/whirlpools washers. Basically it's the transmission. Mine was really loud. Ordered the part 20 bucks off amazon, About 10-15 minutes later, the washer sounds newer than when we purchased it new. It's been going strong now for over 6 months on the splutch and well, couldn't be happier! Sometimes it's faster just to DIY! Tho,if it was something more than that, like the bearing in drum, I hear it's a bit more costly and a lot more of challenge, we probably would have just bought a new machine. If the 20 dollar solution didn't fix it... it would have gone to the landfill. I wonder, how many simple fix machines end up in trash...
Thats horrible. Did you at least get your money back for what you paid for the extended warranty?
HA! right... After spending hours on the phone, trying to go through receipts and at one point hung up on. I'm not about to spend hours trying to get a refund.

At some point, you just take your loss and ask the question... How much do you really value your time? I guess lesson learned here is, when you buy a warranty make sure you just buy it when you buy the appliance, or if you buy it a later, make sure you bring your appliance receipt, and that warranty is attached to it.

Also, it's good to take pictures of your receipts and warranties. Email them to yourself, Gmail will store your stuff forever. Give it a good search name... That way if you ever need receipts of important info, you have a easy way to search and find digital copies!
quote:
Originally posted by Ericlp: Tho,if it was something more than that, like the bearing in drum, I hear it's a bit more costly and a lot more of challenge
That would be a major NO SHlT!!! I did one once. I wouldn't do it again. Had to take that thing all the way apart. It was a stackable front loader. The bearing bracket was made out of some sort of aluminum alloy that apparently doesn't like some types of detergent which essentially dissolved the bracket.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
When I purchase a product I write the manufacturer Sears Kenmore and tell them I don't do product insurance I do brand name good will. If their brand name product is shotty and requires product insurance I'm looking elsewhere.

mella l

Art and Science Our Future

bytheSEA
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA