Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transplants, advice for newcomers.
don't under (or over) estimate the floral business

Flower production is directly correlated to the amount of sunshine the plants receive. Your profit is relative to flower production per square foot. That's why most big growers are in Kapoho, with the exception of anthuriums. Anthuriums would probably do fine in the relative cool and cloudy conditions of HA or Orchidland. Most wholesalers such as Greenpoint are back up at 100% supply, so I would get a written agreement on the price and quantity they say they will purchase from you before investing in cinder, plants, and shade cloth. Or plan to market directly to customers.

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I bet you will feel right at home in Puna. Im actually born and raised in Hawaii but went college off island and have lived and have family on all the main islands. I would say Puna has more mainland influence than anywhere else Ive lived. Realistically, your neighbors in most these subdivisions will be transplants to HI, just like yourself.
Anthuriums would probably do fine

Mine do well without a shade-house, but the bottom has fallen out of the market now that imports are allowed from countries with cheaper production, there was an article in the paper a couple of weeks ago.
Have you looked into Mountain View HI Kopua farm lots are 20 acres.

mella l

Art and Science Our Future

bytheSEA
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
quote:
Originally posted by Anxious Messiah

Ship any decent vehicle, especially a truck or van, you will save thou$ands. One exception to shipping a vehicle is that you can ship your trade tools inside them, you may have to stand your ground, but Matson will relent. I originally shipped a van full to the roof with my plumbing tools and all the pipe and fittings I could muster, and then a complete screen printing business a few years later in a Maxi-van.

What are the magic words to use when you "check in" at Matson? Their website claims: "The only items acceptable for shipment in your automobile are those tools and accessories normally attached to the vehicle, or permanently installed in the dash, doors, rear deck, or console. For example, if not bolted in, the following items should be removed"
RENT FIRST