Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeless Encampment Off Railroad Ave in Hilo
People don’t appreciate what they don’t have to work for.

Puna: Our roosters crow first
Puna: Our roosters crow first
As president he shifted mental health care expenses to the states through block grants. How the states spent these funds was not a 'Reagan' decision.

"Insanity in individuals is rare, in nations commonplace." - Nietzsche

So in our 1980’s example, the decision of an individual caused the release of mental institution inmates into the general population of our nation. We got a twofer.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"Land of the free" isn't exclusive to any single person's definition of "sane". Due process is the antithesis of fascism. But you are right, it doesn't prevent the insane from leading our country.
Terracore posts:
It would probably be cheaper to maintain a camp with restrooms and security than the direct and indirect costs of homelessness. Cleaner and safer for everyone as well.
then Glinda:
I think homelessness makes a case for universal minimum wage (or whatever it's called), which, I believe, would cost the least and return the most of all possible remedies.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agree Terracore! We seem to be "cleaning up" our properties in the same fashion that Genki Sushi should have been addressing it's cockroach infestation.
I'm all for keeping our parks clean and safe ......but what about the homeless problem? Do we just ignore it? I used to have to step over or around (literally) homeless people living under the bridge ( Wailoa Boat ramp to Hilo Bay). These people did not need a minimum wage job for God's sake, they were delusional. Then, this area was "cleared " of the homeless and fences were installed so not only they could not enter under the bridge, and take up residence there, we no longer could get to our boat slips, without traversing the busy street above.
Then. a few homeless found shelter under our club's boats on the bay. ( We have not been allowed to fence our property as the canoe clubs have been allowed). For a club family to arrive on our site, looking forward to a sail on the bay and finding strange people sleeping in or under the club boats is a frightening experience as many of these homeless are not rational. The next thing we know, we are battling the Parks Dept. to keep our location. Parks and Rec.s of course points out that "needles have been found on our premises". YES! They aren't OUR NEEDLES!!! And how many times have we reported theft and asked for night patrol?
The homeless I have encountered near our club's location, including one young woman on the verge of giving birth in our public restroom ( I called 911 for her), have been in no way capable of handling life .
We as a society waste time in engaging in an argument of who's fault it is that they are Schizo, Schizo-effective, bipolar, alcoholic or lazy. They are human beings in need of a home. I for one am immensely ashamed of our current society.
quote:
Originally posted by Chunkster

Norway, despite declining reserves, has significant North Sea oil revenue to bolster their budget, plus a huge investment fund wisely started before their petroleum production peaked in 2001. And their population is only 5.6 million. Not such a good comparison to the USA
original

Exactly.
I have relatives there and their lives run on oil money.
Norge would much different without it.

Tod
Tod
People choosing homelessness is spreading everywhere.
Even happening on Molokai.
That won't end up working out well on the Friendly Isle.

Tod
Tod
terracore: "Are you suggesting that all crazy homeless people should be imprisoned? "

- - - -

No, but they should not be allowed to roam free either. We need a third path between brick and mortar institutions and having mental patients out and about. Same with prison inmates. A new model. We can probably reduce incarceration by 2/3rds.

Call it a loose quarantine. We will dictate where these people hang out most of the day, and make allowances for their occasional forays to city centers for legitimate appointments and law-abiding recreation. Or jobs, if they can handle one.

Shelter is provided for all homeless. Law-abiding homeless are not penalized with quarantine.

Civil libertarians hate the concept. Because they know what's coming down the pike. It is not enough to just have electronic monitoring, right? Knowing where an offender or patient is at all times.

You need to remote control. Possibly with neural links. (The technology is close.) Otherwise you have to send out a police squad car every time one of these people commits a crime or starts acting up. That's a fool's errand--sorry.

Civil libertarians will block the third path between incarceration and complete freedom for decades, but they will lose. Maybe in 2040-2050. Technology is never denied.
Well, we already have GPS trackers in our pockets, so we'll probably just track everyone. Except the politicians and wealthy, for security reasons.
quote:
Originally posted by MarkD

terracore: "Are you suggesting that all crazy homeless people should be imprisoned? "

- - - -

No, but they should not be allowed to roam free either. We need a third path between brick and mortar institutions and having mental patients out and about. Same with prison inmates. A new model. We can probably reduce incarceration by 2/3rds.

Call it a loose quarantine. We will dictate where these people hang out most of the day, and make allowances for their occasional forays to city centers for legitimate appointments and law-abiding recreation. Or jobs, if they can handle one.

Shelter is provided for all homeless. Law-abiding homeless are not penalized with quarantine.

Civil libertarians hate the concept. Because they know what's coming down the pike. It is not enough to just have electronic monitoring, right? Knowing where an offender or patient is at all times.

You need to remote control. Possibly with neural links. (The technology is close.) Otherwise you have to send out a police squad car every time one of these people commits a crime or starts acting up. That's a fool's errand--sorry.

Civil libertarians will block the third path between incarceration and complete freedom for decades, but they will lose. Maybe in 2040-2050. Technology is never denied.

Fox News, biased I agree, just did a piece on a large, new influx of homeless in L.A. and San Francisco.

Why doesn't liberal California address the homeless problem? Is this supposed to be the fault of Republicans?

What about Hawaii? Oahu is doing a little bit (not near enough). Hawaii Island much less so. What is your recommendation for the homeless problem?