Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orchidland Mandatory Road Fees Update
I would assume that the insurance that covers the Non-Arthurs group would be on the hook if the Arthurs group prevails and is allowed to recoup their legal expenses (whatever they may be).
insurance that covers the Non-Arthurs group would be on the hook

It's usually cheaper to litigate the claim than it is to pay it, so more money for the lawyers (again).
It seems appropriate that the prevailing party should be able to recover their costs, but I think this is a common misconception. My understanding is that attorney's fees are only recoverable in Hawaii if there is a statute, case law, or agreement that allows it. Otherwise, the litigants are expected to cover their own costs. "My understanding" comes from a high mucky-muck Honolulu attorney. So I could easily be wrong.
I Believe if there is a settlement you cannot recoup costs.
Kw
I believe the cost of wasted time/effort can never be recouped.

Lawyers is not pavement.
A settlement is an "agreement", so if it is agreed that one party pays the other parties attorneys fees in a settlement, that would be allowed. Highly unlikely however. Especially in this case. They have already had several conferences and mediation attempts, with absolutely no meeting of the minds.