Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii: Come For The Beaches, Stay For The Spiders
Is the evolution of a species a set of random modifications over time, or might it be more predictable than previously thought? The environment and isolation of the Hawaiian Islands provided the perfect testing ground for a scientist and his study of stick spiders:

The question then is not whether evolution is predictable. Clearly, it can be. It’s more interesting to ask under what conditions it is predictable. Again, Hawaii has a lot to say on that.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arch...ty/555149/

The environment of Hawaii sculpts their bodies in a limited number of ways.... “There are only a certain number of good ways to be a spider in these ecosystems, and evolution repeatedly finds those ways,

Declare yourself a success: you'll be admired by those who've declared themselves failures. - Last Aphorisms
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
HOTPE @ 08:10:29 03/08/2018-
Interesting and enlightening article.
So were some of the other articles that were part of that issue of The Atlantic.
Reading the Atlantic in the middle of the Pacific. (Couldn't help myself).
I'd suggest that more than just the referenced article
are worth reading, as you made the whole issue available.
Thank you, HOTPE.[Big Grin]
Put the magazines in the Little Lending library so we can read (unless they're all on-line)