Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are fish ponds contagious?
I think it's contagious but if you're careful you can limit it to one or two. I've had 6 now, but no more than 2 per property.

Those snails suck! You just can't get rid of them. I got them by buying plants at Garden Exchange and Paradise Plants, and they devoured my expensive water lilies. Be really careful about importing other plants if you have water lilies.
My fish pond with goldfish has been very effective at murdering the mosquito population, but sadly, now the pigs have discovered it. . .just a word of caution.
I expected tiny water snails to mysteriously appear out of "thin water" but there now seems to be fish that have spontaneously appeared in my stock tank pond. [:0] I had first thought my neighbor had come by and added them in as a mosquito deterrent but she says she didn't sneak in fish. As far as we can figure, when she brought the plants over in a plastic bag (just damp plants, no real water) there must have been fish eggs on the plant roots? Is that possible? She brought me plants from her pond with comet goldfish in it and the pond with swordtail fish in it. There are now a dozen small greenish fish with split tails kinda like comets but green instead of gold.

There are also some "rams horn" small snails in there now. I had expected those to just spontaneously appear but these fish have me puzzled. Anyone else just have fish spontaneously appear?

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Kapohocat! you mentioned runner ducks... i have been looking! do you know any one with indian runners on the big island??? mahalo linnette
quote:
Do those ducks eat coquis like the runner ducks do?
I don't think so; they are known to eat freshwater vegetation, mollusks (snails!), and insects. I don't think they forage on land much, which means that they probably wouldn't encounter a coqui. But wildlife often do things that we don't expect them to do, so, it may be possible. Koloa are considered a distinct species by some taxonomists, and as a race of Mallard by others. I don't know which camp has dominance in this discussion, or if there's another position on their taxonomy.