Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dogs shot in hpp
on the one hand, shooting dogs is bad. It's evil. On the other hand, I have personally seen how people just let their dogs run free without a leash, here, and act like it's my problem when I don't own their animal. It's really, really, extremely ****ing frustrating. I can see how a person that's been chased by dogs let off their leash by previous asshole animal owners could drive a person to straight up execute two animals. Doesn't justify murdering someone's beloved pets, but it does explain it, and in the article, she did say the dog had "slipped its collar" and then the other one just followed, meaning she didn't have either damn dog on a leash. Again, this should never have happened, but for ****s sakes I wish people would grow a brain and a heart and put their goddamned animals on a ****ing leash.

a little background, even here in Discovery Harbor there are real assholes who just let their dog run all over everywhere, and it ****s up everything just for the fun of it, tears up the trash, scatters it everywhere, and then runs away. Goddamned dog is so poorly trained that when I yell at it to get the **** off my property, it ****ing barks at me when the dog KNOWS its not in it's domain. Meanwhile, someone I know recently moved to Ocean View, three pitbulls off of their leash nearly kill his dog the moment he moves to his new house. This no leash thing is really a terrible, inhumane idea for everyone involved.

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
I'm assuming that these dogs were pretty well socialized. That's how they were portrayed in news reports, as gentle family pets. However I agree with glassnumbers in that other people may have, in fact definitely will have had, cause to assume that loose dogs are trouble, the kind of trouble that you can't afford to let just "happen" because by the time it shows itself it'll be too late. On one level I feel I have to accept what happened. I DO have a huge problem with people issuing a fatwa against somebody who might have dealt with strange dogs who may have been threatening them on their own property for all any of us know.
I’m brand new to this forum, but have been following for a while. I finally decided to register. I still live on the mainland, but we are in the planing stages of a move to the BI.
Hello all!

That is horrible to hear about the dogs, but I also understand the argument of “why have your dogs unleashed?” It could be terrifying having a couple dogs start running toward you and not sure of their demeanor. Also, I would hate to keep my dogs on a leash all the time and would like for them to be able to run. My sister uses an invisible dog fence and has never had an issue with their dogs running off. They learn the borders of the property and don’t go past it. She bought the dog fence because her last dog ran out into the road and was hit by a car and killed.

It all comes down to a personal preference, but at the same time I’m aware we live in a universe of cause and effect. If certain causes could be limited, so will the effects. Sad story all around. It’s a good chance these dogs were good family dogs that wanted to greet a stranger.
Delete, double post.
It seems to me that there are a lot of assumptions being stated here.
The dogs weren’t being carelessly walked without a leash, but slipped a collar, (at home) and ran off. Ideally, most dog owners love their dogs and attempt to keep them home for their safety as well as the safety of others. Cars, fire ants, strays, are just some of the threats to free running dogs. My dogs are escape artists too, but we use a adjustable collar that tightens when they pull on it, (not a choke chain) when they’re “on the run “ because they’ve misbehaved by not “staying home”. They can still escape if they are determined enough. Sometimes lightning strikes, gunfire, explosions (especially now) someone walking by or a pick up full of barking dogs excite or spook dogs and they want to investigate. (Or hide and quiver depending on the dog..) This is not aggressive behavior, but curiosity. I very much doubt that these were aggressive dogs.
If somebody was being attacked, they’d have shot the dogs where they thought it would stop them, not conveniently behind the ear. Somebody was sending a message, and I don’t think it’s the obvious one. (Somebody was being attacked by aggressive dogs)
Dogs wouldn’t have stood still for somebody they didn’t know. (JMO)
This appears to me to be a personnel attack, not some random cruelty. (but cruelty none the less.)
Particularly after hearing they were both shot behind the ear I don't think that this was a case of somebody stopping an attack. I agree that this very likely didn't have to happen and I don't expect I would agree with whoever did it t I had been there. My neighbors on both sides have dogs that visit me periodically. One is a very friendly but somewhat shy creature that I can approach. The other neighbor's dogs are yappy little runts that are unapproachable, who keep their distance and bark at me. If I had anything that they might threaten like chickens, children, or peace of mind it could become a problem. As it is I would not shoot any dog that didn't really give me cause.

FWIW I don't consider a humane death to be cruelty to the animal although the loss of the animal could cause somebody else pain. I consider a well-placed shot to the head to be humane. If the dog threatened somebody then a humane death could be warranted. If the owners of the dog were threatening others indirectly via letting the dogs run loose the ideal solution would be to get the people to restrain the dogs but if that were not possible then treating the symptom rather than the cause might be all that you could do.

Lots of talk based on almost no facts. Given the prevailing assumptions of non-aggressive dogs and no history of trouble-making I can say that I wouldn't have shot them but defining these deaths as cruelty worthy of vigilante justice is crazy for a culture that consumes as many chicken nuggets as we do.
To clarify in my part of hpp 15 th and kaloli, theres a group of dogs across the street
That are loose most of the time . My friends dogs have been killed on there leashes.
Several houses and dogs over the years. I have been nipped by at least 5 times and have been
Knocked over several times. Have called humane socsociety many times. Bottom line there are alot of dogs here,some feral in packs usually, but most local with tags. Humane society has monthly round ups . Thanks again to Judith. But its still out of control.
At times I have had to carry pepper spray to defend from them. No fix in site tho.
Aloha

Dan D
HPP

HPP
When I drove slowly down a gravel side road in HPP, a pitbull charged from its residence and tried to leap into my open window. It didn't quite reach and retreated to its home after bouncing off the door.

I love it when that happens. Phew! Close call!