Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plastic recycling Pahoa
https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2012/01/31...t-plastic/

If Hawaii had any common sense.. they would get with the program instead of relying on other countries to deal with it.

"Plastics can be converted into crude oil... "

"AERT in Arkansas, and Virginia-based Trex recycle polyethylene into outdoor decking material, fencing, and doors and windows... "

The counties solution instead is to charge us to throw our trash away, yeah that will work../s

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2018/09/1...revisited/

Empty lots don’t charge anything.......
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Exactly. When I see the amount of rubbish on the sides of the road when garbage disposal is absolutely free, I shudder to think of what it would look like when they start charging for it.

For that matter, there is nothing from stopping me from just dumping my garbage into a gigantic pile at the rear of one of my spag lots and letting the rats and cockroaches take care of it for me.
For that matter, there is nothing from stopping me from just dumping my garbage into a gigantic pile at the rear of one of my spag lots and letting the rats and cockroaches take care of it for me.

Unfortunately there are some trashy people (most often young locals for some reason) that actually DON'T CARE about out aina.
You find that most often it's the bulk items that aren't allowed in the dumping bin. Fridges, mattresses, giant old-style TV's etc.

As for the lids, the recycler employees want them off because they hold the extra liquid in the bottle representing a false weight.

I also noticed if the labels get torn off, several of the recycling businesses won't grant you the HI-5 for it.

In the last few years I've taken a hot water heater, old freezer, and some other random appliance that was dumped onto our road to the transfer station and they took all of them. I knew that TVs were harder to get rid of but I was actually headed to a mulch run on the day that Hilo station was taking them, so I was going to grab a roadside flatscreen on my way but it was already gone. (when stuff is dumped and left there it literally breeds).

The label thing is real, supposedly they aren't allowed to take anything that doens't have a label or other printing that says its HI-5 eligible. A few times I've had them pick them out and toss them in the trash, which is unfortunate because I paid the deposit on them, but what are you going to do?

"As for the lids, the recycler employees want them off because they hold the extra liquid in the bottle representing a false weight."

They have the same rule everywhere including curbside recycling where nothing is counted or weighed. The reason is that the caps are usually made out of a different type of plastic than the bottle. If they come in with the cap still on the bottle, somebody at a recycling plant has to manually remove the cap somewhere down the recycling supply chain or the entire bottle and cap has to be discarded. Now that most of the plastic bottles are winding up in landfills anyway, I doubt any of this is relevant.

I asked the man who works at the Pahoa Transfer station if they took mattresses last week and he said yes, just put it in the regular bin.
Also had a tv fried by lightning last storm, and took it to the recycle place in Hilo, by Kadota’s. They said they take electronics for free on Saturdays, but charged (by the pound) on other days. It was just under 5$ to get rid of the tv there on a weekday..
I went there on Free Saturday to get rid of a flatscreen. It was a zoo. I think I would actually prefer to pay $5 to get rid of it with less drama.
I’ve been taking plastic bottles to the Keaau transfer location for years and never have removed the lids. I’ll ask next time I make a run for redemption.
Puna: Our roosters crow first