Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Any one on the forum have one? ... I am thinking about shipping mine over, however I have been waiting to have the inner aprons replaced - warranty.

problem is the revised part is not available yet...and I wont let them do this major work twice, so the poor truck sits on the mainland --- and I am running my beater van, cursing every pothole and cinder road

wondering if any of you punawebers have run into this and how the dealer did
We have an FJC, actually its the wifes car. We bought it in Hilo, and brought back to SoCal until we return next year. The wife utterly loves the FJC, especially in Hilo/Puna. We haven't had the problem you are talking about but if you google "FJ Cruiser forum", I believe they have a write up on this. I would check the forum then talk to you dealer mainland then the Hilo dealer and jst bring it out. Did you have a AM bumper? We have BentUps F&R, plus a slight lift, AM skidplate for the whole bottom and some BFG 255x85x16s.
Love the truck ..blue, mt, arb,warn, ome mediums, oem rock rails,10 inch hid's on the bumper & converted toyota oem roof mounted spots - hid.
on the "blue forum" as 07tonka (plates)

I kept a place in so cal --- described in chapter one of the "Watchers" Koontz ... if you know the place, you also know that road!

The reinforced fix is supposed to be in any day ... "they" say I am still a nervous the extent and the current "state", as they are replacing like for like, of the repair... drilling out a bunch welds for peats sake I really do not want them in there twice.

see you on the 405

What MPG do you guys get with those things? They look cool but from what I read my F-150 4X4 does as well at 16 to 18.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
before adding all the fun stuff (4 inch lift etc) I was bumping 20 mpg, right now it gets about 18..

the best thing about the truck for me is that it is very capable off road and then scoots along at 80 on the freeway, with a very cushy ride - even with the lift. and did I tell you it came with a subwoofer from the factory? - grin
Scooting along on the highway at eighty around here could lose you your license or your life depending on which part of the highway you go scooting at. Eighty with a sub-woofer? Maybe the truck should stay on the mainland where it won't get you into trouble.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
"Maybe the truck should stay on the mainland where it won't get you into trouble."

you cant go 80 on 11, 'cept for the locals in their lifted tacos - black death if you ask me.....

you cant go less on the 5 on the way to Sacramento or the semi's will run over you..

In the Virgin Islands they drive on the "opposite" side of the road ...watch out for the tourists in rentals - they sometimes forget - grin

On The Big Island folks in their spirit of Aloha ... disregard all right of way rules, sure is confusing if one is used to "driving by the rules"

and my favorite safety rant that seems to apply to all cultures - cell phones, studies indicate it more of an impairment than a couple of cocktails

its all about time and place

the point I was making is that most of the older 4wd vehicles were absolutely dangerous at speed - anything over 45 ... sudden turns meant sudden death (cj's included) ....

The FJ has much better manners and does both well
It looks and sounds like a nice vehicle except my next vehicle has to get better mpg than that.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
It seems to get better mileage ... the cars need to be lighter.

Being I spend so much time off road, and the number one danger is "kids" flying around a blind turn coming the other way, I opted for a bit more heft, full frame vs unibody and aso bumper (that's what they call them in parts of western europe - anti social bumpers - grin) and air bags. The Fj has them in the dash, overhead on the sides and in the seat wings

It seems kids like to go fast off road an post it on you tube - be careful when entering the hinterlands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E19_3psOKk

I see these kinds fools on a regular basis "in the boonies" ... ill eat a bit of mileage to have the protection of a more substantial vehicle