Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
developing tourism for the east side
Geeze, nobody reads Kalakoa or my posts? We do have a plan!

Raise taxes!
I'm on Oahu right now and everything is packed. I planned to go to Ford Island and tour the Museum and the USS Missouri.

Got to the parking lot about 11:00 and couldn't find a parking place.

Went online to buy tickets for tomorrow and go early.As I was buying my 2 tickets, the website rejected my purchase and found out that while I was paying for the tickets, the 9:00 am tour I wanted, sold out !

Got tickets for 10:00 am but may have to get there at daybreak just to find parking.

Beach parking is packed everywhere !

The Big Island might be a better bet but I live there !

People complaining about our only real industry...
Obie, I highly recommend The Heart of the Missouri tour if it’s not too late. 90 minute tour to the engine room and Broadway. Took the tour recently and it was awesome.
Hilo Bay could be a beautiful spot for ocean recreation if they could clean up the water by shortening the 100 year old breakwater and putting open gaps in the remaining breakwater only leaving the section protecting Hilo Harbor for cruise ships and barges.

Bulldoze the blight from Uncle Billy’s to Reed’s Bay and make it all waterfront park like at Reed’s Bay. Restore the largest black sand beach in Hawaii at the bay front and remove the highway along the shore.

A major investment to remodel the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel is needed and restore private vacation rentals.
quote:
Originally posted by SBH

Obie, I highly recommend The Heart of the Missouri tour if it’s not too late. 90 minute tour to the engine room and Broadway. Took the tour recently and it was awesome.

Yeah, That's the tour we took.There were only 4 of us so we had a very personalized experience.
I'm glad we did a morning tour, it was getting pretty warm toward the end of Broadway.
Getting a little off topic. We desperately need tourism dollars. Since losing the Kapoho Tide pools, Hot Pond, & Lava viewing, we have nothing to bring tourists back. We need to insist that something gets done. We need safe swimming lagoons,and keiki ponds. Safe ocean recreation would bring tourists dollars back to Puna.This is the area that was affected by the volcano so all of the recovery money needs to stay here in Lower Puna. We need to stand up and demand this. We need to get the media involved. Lower Puna residents should contact newspapers, television stations, and podcasts and tell our story. We need to make Mayor Harry help Lower Puna residents & businesses. We have to make him build ocean recreation. I am willing to do this & every Lower Puna resident needs to do this too. Everybody has that phone in their hand all the time. Make it work for Lower Puna. Text Big Island News, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CNN and tell them what's going on here. Mayor Harry wants to do his little pet projects around the island & do nothing for Lower Puna. We have to stop letting Mayor Kim & his old boy monopoly do as they please. Step up say something. We need ocean recreation & a boat launch. Time to put a little media pressure on this topic. I will if you will.
Leslie N Worthington