Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Molokai: Renewable Energy Test Ground
The island of Molokai will serve as a test ground for future improvements in the electric grid throughout Hawaii. Residents there fought a wind farm project 10 years ago which would have sent most of the electricity to Oahu. This time may be different for reasons ranging from the positive aspects of reducing fossil fuel powered generators, to fear of losing electricity like Puerto Rico. Molokai residents would prefer a functional power grid than have paper towels tossed at their heads.

One solar project already in operation will cost $30,000-$90,000 for an evaluation study so it can be determined whether it saves residents money. If it does save money the cost of the study may prevent expansion of the concept because they spent the money on the study. At least we’ll know it could have worked, and might have have reduced CO2 emissions. We may also discover the evaluation didn’t save residents money, it only cost them money. I wonder if there’s a lesson that could be learned from this?

The article is a good read if you’re interested in where we’re headed.

“Learning from Moloka‘i and being able to point to it—to elected officials, to large customers, small customers, regulators, whoever they may be—and say ‘well, look, it’s doable and there are ways to do it cost-effectively.’ That could be of incredible value,” says Ching.

https://www.hakaimagazine.com/features/t...ower-push/
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
A very interesting read - although still fairly biased in that it minimizes the challenges, and costs, of transitioning to a fully renewable energy grid. It mentions, but glosses over, the impact of that transition on the poorest residents who have little hope of having the resources for installing a photovoltaic array without it being entirely funded through "public" subsidies. He disparages the utility, claiming that they exaggerated the challenges of installing more PV than the local grid can handle, but then mentions in passing that the island suffered disruptions in power supply because of the instability arising from implementation of PV.

I've seen the power production/demand cycle for Hawaii Island and it is nothing but ugly from an electrical engineering perspective: during the day you can see constant changes associated with PV arrays increasing and decreasing output (as well as "normal" grid variability) that the utility has to respond to on a second by second basis. No doubt the technology exists to deal with those fluctuations, but I have yet to see a legitimate study that details what it will cost to do that on a meaningful scale in Hawaii (or whether Hawaii's economy can stand those costs).
you can see constant changes associated with PV arrays increasing and decreasing output (as well as "normal" grid variability) that the utility has to respond to on a second by second basis.

Yes, thanks for pointing that out geochem. It does seem like an inefficient system especially with fossil fuel powered generators constantly on in the background for immediate availability when cloud cover blows in and out over different areas of Hawaii Island.

It’s too bad Hawaii doesn’t have a steady more reliable basis for powering generators on a 24/7 basis, night & day, sunny or rainy. If only there were a heat source, some kind of geological thermal resource with little variability from minute to minute or day to day?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

you can see constant changes associated with PV arrays increasing and decreasing output (as well as "normal" grid variability) that the utility has to respond to on a second by second basis.

Yes, thanks for pointing that out geochem. It does seem like an inefficient system especially with fossil fuel powered generators constantly on in the background for immediate availability when cloud cover blows in and out over different areas of Hawaii Island.

It’s too bad Hawaii doesn’t have a steady more reliable basis for powering generators on a 24/7 basis, night & day, sunny or rainy. If only there were a heat source, some kind of geological thermal resource with little variability from minute to minute or day to day?

yeah, if only...
Even when we had a friendly source of power the PV in Kapoho caused wild voltage fluctuations.

Probably should link this to the "Average lifespan of a TV is about 2 1/2 years."

I had wild fluctuations because of the PV feedback power.

Finally hooked everything in the house up to UPS power supplies