Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taxpayer Shopping Days
I drove into Hilo today, and stores were deserted.  HPM had more workers than customers, I couldn't find a few things, it was like having my own personal assistant by my side.

I was reminded that it's the end of the month and EBT cards are zeroed out, and bank accounts are drained.  After paying taxes all month this is our reward, a few days of carefree uncrowded fast checkout shopping.  On the way home I saw three cars on the side of the road, the driver and passengers mulling about.  If I wanted to guess I'd say they ran out of gas.  And gas money.  

Puna is a little more peaceful on days like this, perhaps somewhat like the (good?) old days?
(04-28-2023, 03:28 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: I drove into Hilo today, and stores were deserted.  HPM had more workers than customers, I couldn't find a few things, it was like having my own personal assistant by my side.

I was reminded that it's the end of the month and EBT cards are zeroed out, and bank accounts are drained.  After paying taxes all month this is our reward, a few days of carefree uncrowded fast checkout shopping.  On the way home I saw three cars on the side of the road, the driver and passengers mulling about.  If I wanted to guess I'd say they ran out of gas.  And gas money.  

Puna is a little more peaceful on days like this, perhaps somewhat like the (good?) old days?

It is estimated that 44% of households don't pay income tax and 75% of filers get a refund.  If anything, wouldn't tax season bring out more shoppers?

I always used to file our taxes ASAP to get refund ASAP.  Usually before end of January.  I think last several years I'd get refund before end of February.  This year it came closer to the wire because our tax situation is more complicated.  As far as the refunds go, they went to bills... sorry BI businesses.  

I have noticed the same things you mentioned, but it's been going on awhile. Even the lines at the Hilo post office are shorter with fewer people picking up packages.  Shorter lines at drive-throughs too.  And look at the prices.  I know the higher inflation has certainly cut down on our shopping.  I'll endure waiting 6-8 weeks to get something from Amazon before considering paying 50% more somewhere else to get it sooner.
It's nice when it's not so crowded, but our local grocery stores are still just EBT farming operations. I'm sure the prices aren't so bad when you get hundreds in free groceries, but they suck for working people.
(04-28-2023, 04:25 AM)terracore Wrote:   It is estimated that 44% of households don't pay income tax and 75% of filers get a refund.  If anything, wouldn't tax season bring out more shoppers?

Let's just be clear about this. Those that get a refund have paid their taxes. Those that can't or won't pay taxes are funded by honest workers even if they don't want to do that.

As for bringing out more shoppers, well, no, unless you're brainless. Save your money and shop later. You don't need the latest iPhone unless it has some app that will change your life for the better.
If you're getting a refund big enough to go on a shopping spree, you're doing it wrong. The government just held your money interest free all year.
There was a noticeable lack of customers at Ross a couple days ago.

I needed a pair of work boots, figured it was worth a shot going there. Lucky me, found a pair of waterproof, heavy duty Columbia trail shoes for $30. For the heck of it, checked them out on Amazon and they're going for over $100. The big discount was probably due to the size being extra large, so they've been sitting on the shelf for quite awhile.

I also saw an inoperative truck road side on the way home. Drive line was hanging on the ground with a broken u joint.

No tax refund here, and we paid plenty.
(04-28-2023, 09:28 AM)TomK Wrote:
(04-28-2023, 04:25 AM)terracore Wrote:   It is estimated that 44% of households don't pay income tax and 75% of filers get a refund.  If anything, wouldn't tax season bring out more shoppers?

Let's just be clear about this. Those that get a refund have paid their taxes. Those that can't or won't pay taxes are funded by honest workers even if they don't want to do that.

As for bringing out more shoppers, well, no, unless you're brainless. Save your money and shop later. You don't need the latest iPhone unless it has some app that will change your life for the better.

While technically it is not a "refund" if you aren't paying any federal taxes to begin with, there are all sorts of the non-taxpayers that get the earned income child tax credits, which do get them a refund of money that they never paid in to begin with.
(05-01-2023, 03:15 PM)leilanidude Wrote: While technically it is not a "refund" if you aren't paying any federal taxes to begin with, there are all sorts of the non-taxpayers that get the earned income child tax credits, which do get them a refund of money that they never paid in to begin with.

I've had a hard time parsing that. I think I know what you mean, but what do you want done about it?
A "refundable tax credit" is actually a form of "transfer payment" which is used to subsidize budgets for low-income households. Price controls might be more effective but these require immense political capital.