Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Target
leilanidude: I guess that is better than the KTA store smelling like old fish at the entrance?

Thanks for posting this - I thought I was the only one who still smelled this! Years ago, where the entrance is now, was where they had their fish case, and the blood dripped and seeped into the wooden floor boards. Those of us who shopped there back then ( 30 - 40 years ago, no other markets in town ), thought for sure the smell would go away once they remodeled. I was very surprised when I went into the store last year, after at least 15 years of shopping elsewhere, and still had my stomach turned by that stench.
Compared to KTA I think the Hilo Foodland smells worse when you walk in the door.  There is a heating lamp station where they put fried chicken- and don't get me wrong I like chicken from time to time but the smell of their old recycled grease right as you walk in the door is offending.  It's not a good fried chicken smell.  Cannot believe the management just shrugs that off or think it smells good.
Is there a locally owned store with a seafood section that doesn't have that nasty old-fish smell somewhere? I'm not trying to make a joke, just can't think of one. The chain stores that sell seafood don't stink like that. One of the reasons I don't shop at local stores is that I have an aversion to that smell.
Not local but I was in the Waikaloa KTA the other day. It was a huge store, clean, no smell and great selection. It's past time to refurb our local stores. On another note, Target employee told me it was 6 employees that tested positive.
I am less worried about masked and generally careful employees, even if positive, than I am with people walking around with filthy bandanas or over-large masks with their noses protruding, constantly touching and adjusting said covering and then touching stuff and putting it back and talking loudly.
Kelena makes a good point. I went to Target yesterday, and it felt perfectly OK. Plenty of social distancing, and the employees were wearing well-fitted masks. So were virtually all the customers, too. With the exception of some canned goods, it was also better stocked than last time. Made me wonder if the reports of infected employees were keeping folks away.

I then went next door to Safeway, and it was more crowded than usual with less than ideal behavior on the part of the shoppers. I suddenly realized that there was a reason I had avoided Safeway on Fridays since the pandemic set in . . . they have a ton of really cheap specials on Fridays and people literally trip over each other to get at them. Yesterday, I actually had a guy wearing a bandana yell at me because I was taking too long (from his point of view) to select a heavily discounted bakery item. Fortunately, I had on an N-95 left over from the eruption two years ago. Frau Chunkster had carefully put them away when it was over, saying, "Vielleicht brauchen wir diese eines Tages wieder."
I was at Longs in Pahoa about a week ago and the place was packed. There were a lot of kids there, and all of them had their masks on wrong. Either on their chin or nose hanging out. The checkout lines were really long too.
There's probably a separate thread for this but it relates to what was just mentioned about improper mask wearing.  There's a large percentage out there that just don't get it yet.  But anyway this was really funny and hit home:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wearing+your+mask+like+this&sxsrf=ALeKk02whtO5c3NpB3YSFtONr-fwqH41Cw:1600578215516&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZ8uG_-vbrAhWTtZ4KHdCsCxUQ_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1586&bih=762#imgrc=EvODfhQlGZadPM

A couple more here:

https://www.escape.com.au/news/hilarious...4417ad3a30
I think I mentioned this in another thread, but if you use Google maps you can click on the store you want to visit and on the left hand frame it gives you a decent idea if the store is busy or not in pseudo real-time (scroll down a bit and you'll see it in bar graph format). I use this a guide when to visit a store and it's worked quite well so far. It doesn't give actual numbers and I think it only updates every hour, hence the word "pseudo", but it's been a useful tool for me.