Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New shopping in Pahoa
I just read something about the new shopping plaza in Pahoa. Which stores are going in? The Ace & a full sized grocery will be a welcome addition. But I hope it isn't a big ugly metal building. I hope they try to use some landscaping etc around the building. I also heard that Cash & Carry is finally going to break ground on the new store. Any ideas if it will be different than the current location? Another resturant would be nice too but I would hate to see a lot of chain type places come in.

Soon to be a Hawaii resident !!
Atlanta/Pahoa
The new shopping area in Pahoa is PAHOA MARKETPLACE. There will be 5 new buildings including a full size, 12,000sf Grocery Store.Pahoa Hardware-True Value will be moving into a new 8000sf building. In addition, there will be the Aloha Outpost Internet Cafe, Pahoa Fresh Fish, Subway Sandwich, Dentist, Real Estate Office, Jungle Love Clothing, Lex Brodie Tire and Aloha Gas. The buildings will be metal but will have hardiboard paneling on the visable sides. They will all have false fronts as well in keeping with the "old Pahoa" style. We don't want to have ugly metal buildings either. We are working with the same landscaper that did the "triangle" plantings in front of our project and will carry that theme throughout. Pahoa Hardware will also be using solar power on their building. We look forward to being a part of the community and welcome your support.
Marjorie Chase

Can anyone tell me the closest and or best place to purchase new furniture? A;so a good Hawaiiana type store selling genuine hawaiian antiques and artsy stuff. Im not rich so I need places that are reasonable. Possibly selling Koa furniture also?ThaNKS

Frank Battaglia
I stopped in an antique store that's up a ways on the road to Volcano. Not much Hawaiiana, but that stuff is EXPENSIVE anyway. The old guy running it knew my dad, a collector himself, from Kailua, Oahu.

quote:
Can anyone tell me the closest and or best place to purchase new furniture? A;so a good Hawaiiana type store selling genuine hawaiian antiques and artsy stuff. Im not rich so I need places that are reasonable. Possibly selling Koa furniture also?ThaNKS

Frank Battaglia

Hello Frank, might be a silly suggestion but have you tried doing a search on internet? A good search engine is copernic. Or you could try www.askjeeves.com

Aloha Frank,

Try Koehnen's in downtown Hilo (961-4725). They are pricey downstairs, but sell seconds and discontinued items upstairs at reasonable prices.

Also, try The Home Place (935-7494). They have a two stores in Hilo. One sells brand new, and one resells used. The used stock keeps rotating. Go every week and look at it.

Finally, try Paradise Auctions (969-1831). They often liquidate old hotel and resort furniture. You might get out bid, but it's a great place to get a bargain.

Good Luck!

Aloha,
Ron (Happy_Haole)
Aloha,
Ron (Happy_Haole)
Just a blast from the past.

Far Out Man!
Wow, it's like history repeated...
(05-02-2004, 03:51 PM)Lin W Wrote: Can anyone tell me the closest and or best place to purchase new furniture? A;so a good Hawaiiana type store selling genuine hawaiian antiques and artsy stuff. Im not rich so I need places that are reasonable. Possibly selling Koa furniture also?ThaNKS

Frank Battaglia
No answers but a comment:   I love the Hawaiian motif furniture in the Hilo Airport downstairs.  I have long thought that such furniture could be built from local ohia and be DIY with standard plans for local woodworkers.

I wish somebody would come up with open sourced plans for that kind of furniture and post them on the internet or here.

Ccat