Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobby Town Help and Other Kid Fun
Hi, all,

I've got a toddler and a bunch of friends with kids the same age, we're always trying to find things to do around here. We love the zoo, the beach parks, etc. and will occasionally drive to Hilo (less so lately...) to use a playground.

I heard from a friend thru a friend (etc. etc.) that there's a place in HPP called Hobby Town or something like that, and that there's a fishing pond, a train ride, a little mini-town, etc. Does anyone have any details on this place? Where it is? Phone number? Apparently, they don't have an advertising budget and we can't find them.

Also, if anyone has other suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Just looking for something new and free/cheap to do with kids in Puna.

Mahalo,
Kelli
http://www.hobbygardenhawaii.com/

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
Thank you, Andrew, that's it exactly! No wonder I couldn't find it - "Town" doesn't Google the same as "Garden".

Mahalo!
I always thought this would be a fun place to visit myself but the website says that adults can't ride the train. Bummer!

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
As a senior citizen, I just might call he ADA about this. LOL
Gordon J Tilley
With all due respect to the place that it is...

I recently took my son and a couple of his cousins there, and was kind of disappointed in the place.

It's basically a backyard money maker for this family.

Most of the Electronic games were broken. Most of the toys were very dusty and unusable.

The "Fish Pond" was cool, although it was Green from all the algae and the kids never caught one fish. (The "hooks" don't have barbs on them so it's very difficult to actually "hook" a fish and release it.)

The train was $4.00 extra per kid and it basically was a circle around the place. (Although the conductor was a very cute and adorable child)

I myself wouldn't go back again. The kids did have fun although they got bored of the place within an hour and wanted to go home.

I think the owners are really trying hard to do something for the community, which of course is a great thing, I was just somewhat disappointed of the place as from reading the articles, seeing the website, and then actually visiting the place... I guess my expectations were a bit high.

It's worth it once... but twice... I'll pass.[Wink]

-------
Rally For the Plan
quote:
Originally posted by keaaukizzau

Also, if anyone has other suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Just looking for something new and free/cheap to do with kids in Puna.

The Pahoa Community Pool is a great place to take kids. They have a kiddie pool too so you don't have to worry about the little ones as much.

More info here.

If your traveling very far, I would suggest calling ahead of time to make sure the pool is open.

A couple of times already this summer they have had to close for one reason or another.

-------
Rally For the Plan
And if you really want your kids to have fun.

Bring them here on the 30th. [Wink]

-------
Rally For the Plan
school starts on the 28th

The devil is in the detail