Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saddle Road

Hi Royall,
There was actually a road begun many years ago leading from the Saddle more directly to Kailua-Kona. If you look, you can still see where they actually bulldozed the beginnings of this road a few miles past the observatory turnoff on the left as you head Kona direction. I don't recall the full story, but it was abandoned after minimal work was done. Probably ran out of money or ran into opposition of some sort. It looks like it was headed for Hualalai, so that may have had something to do with it being axed. Perhaps someone on PW knows the full story.

Cheers,
Jerry
It seems to me at one point there was a map that showed a proposed road going more in that direction. At the time I was thinking that it was part of the overall plan for Saddle, but I didn't see anymore of it.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

As far as I understand a county tried to build this road. But there was
a change in administration and the project was scrapped.

Just got this email today from a engineer friend on the mailand.

"I am reading the Engineering News Record and it says 9/18 Fed Hifgway Admin has approved a project to improve State Rte 200 and the Saddle Road est costs $20-$35 million".

Aloha
Wyatt

“When you have come to the edge of all the light you have
And step into the darkness of the unknown
Believe that one of the two will happen to you
Either you'll find something solid to stand on
Or you'll be taught how to fly!”

Richard Bach
"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
Just say to them....thanks, but no thanks.....if we want good roads we will build them ourselves! (But follow Palin's lead and take the Federal money before you say that).
quote:
Originally posted by wyatt

"I am reading the Engineering News Record and it says 9/18 Fed Hifgway Admin has approved a project to improve State Rte 200 and the Saddle Road est costs $20-$35 million".

That is the 6(5) phase re-alignment of Saddle Road between m.m 35-41.5

http://www.saddleroad.com/images/0806map1024.jpg

The bid opening is going to be on September 18, 2008. If all goes well
the notice to proceed will be given in November 2008.

http://www.cflhd.gov/procurement/constru...ojects.cfm