Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fool for Fuel
Yup.

If you want to make a killing, here's tip. Buy agricultural futures for the spring harvest.

I'm of the opinion this is going all cease to be very funny about a year from now.
Food prices are high for multiple reasons
1. Fuel costs
a. Transport
b. packaging
c. fertilizer
d. farm operation (tractor)
e. pesticides
2. Government subsides
a. paying farmers to not plant
3.Weather irregularities and disasters
a. Droughts
b. flooding
c. frost
d. hurricanes, High winds and tornadoes
4.Excessive regulation
a. EPA trying to save snail darters and frogs
b. Import tariffs
c. taxation

I am sure there are more.

This whole thread is such a good reason to be sustainable, to grow your own and to support local farmers/fishermen etc. keep it local. We live in a place that can grow almost ANYTHING year round. We have some of the best grass fed beef in the country. Not only that, tons of fish all around us. Why on earth should we be so dependent on the mainland and imported goods? No more tarrifs, no worry about frost, floods, droughts, huge trasnport fees. Buy & grow the organic and you eliminate the pesticides too. It is better for the land and more importantly better for you. Stop buying canned and processed foods. Can your own or use fresh all of the time. It is far healthier and much better for the island and your pocket book. Live in an apartment you can grow some things in containers or find a farmer and volunteer to work for him at a farmer's market in exchange for a box of produce. Or put your other skills to work in a barter system. Say you are a hair stylist... find a farmer and trade hair cuts for food. Maybe you are an artist... trade your art. Maybe you are a plumber... or a tutor... or a babysitter. This can be done and should be done. Keep our dollars on the island and in our own pockets as much as possible. Is there an island bartering association? There should be! it would also save on what we pay on taxes!

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Bartering! Some years ago there was a big effort to establish a barter club, just as you suggested. As it got popular, the state steppped in and squashed it, They demanded a value based on the going rates, and wanted their taxes, state and fed derived from the value of the swap.

As JWFitz mentioned about self sustainability, it has been basically made illeagal by one law or the other.
Gordon J Tilley
I want to direct this question to Bob Orts. I completely agree with your
comments about development and the lack of ag. land being utilized. However, you also endorse Billy K. for mayor who, from my perspective, is not focused on the agricultural potential of this island, at least not in a sustainable, household to household way. I have not gotten the impression that Mr. Kenoi is ready to roll up his sleeves and dig in the dirt. I know this is not a political forum, but I think the other candidate has the right idea so much as we have everything we need right here on our island if we so use our ingenuity, cooperation and God-given resources. That is sustainability. That is independence and liberty for our island citizens.
gtill,

Yes, the state wants a cut every time wealth or labor is earned or swapped.
Any time you trade a mango to Pam for eggs, you are operating a black market ring.

I am being somewhat facetious as most states exclude Agricultural goods and subsistence farming but the feds did step in during the 80s to squash businesses from bartering.

To draw a clear analogy, just think of the state as pimps.
And your W2 form as Huggy Bear saying: "Gimme my money B**ch!"

And just know, that the more taxes you've paid, the more you have been pimped out and b-slapped.

quote:
Originally posted by rasman

I want to direct this question to Bob Orts. I completely agree with your
comments about development and the lack of ag. land being utilized.
And that’s a bigger problem than most realize. We have the land, we have the zoning, we have the ability, but we are not utilizing it. Truth is, AG zoned land is nothing but a tax dodge. Why should a person with .5 acre residential zoned property pay more in taxes than a person with 5 acres of AG zoned land if the AG land is NOT producing agricultural products?

Sustainability is a pipe dream if nobody is contributing, only taking.

quote:
Originally posted by rasman

However, you also endorse Billy K. for mayor…
It wasn’t an endorsement; it was a statement as to who I believe is capable of bringing economic development. It may not be good for Hawaii, but he’s the one I see with the ability to do it, good or bad. If a person has a high priority of jobs, commerce, industry, economic development, that’s the candidate. If the priority is the land, the beauty, Hawaii as Hawaii, better mark another box. The choice is the individuals.
Ag land is currently taxed at a higher rate per value than residentially zoned land.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator