Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New program for theft recovery in HPP
As part of the HPP Neighborhood Watch, we have just initiated an engraving program for valuables of our residents. Two hand engraving units are available at the HPPOA Office at Makuu and 17th, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. They may be checked out for up to 72 hours, and a $25 refundable deposit (check or cash) is required. Along with the engraver, residents will be given instructions, a plastic stencil, and a police-approved form for recording the type, description, serial number, and code engraved for items. The form should be copied and kept in two separate, secure locations. In the unpleasant event items are stolen, they will be far more easily recoverable and returned to the owner if engraved. All HPP residents are urged to take advantage of this opportunity.

Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry

This is great and all should take advantage of this kind offer. Now this got me thinking some [and on occasions I have been known to think]

What if the community started a big island recovery system a very simple system by engraving a owners coded on valuables. When the police recovered items known to be stolen all they would have to do is check that code to a web site and bingo, they know the owner. Or maybe a stick on bar code then the police could scan the bar code [like what is being done in stores today] to the data base and it would instantly identify the owner. Many times bugler victims lose their goods even thou the police have recovered them because the victim lives in another district than where the stuff was recovered. Very sad but also very true.

This is just some food for thought.

The Lack

The Lack Toons
Jerry and Tom... excellent idea! My Daddy engraved our name on everything from his hammer to our roller skates when we were kids. All of his shop tools still are engraved.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com

We engrave a state driver's license number on everything because it is completely unique to a person, for life, does not potentially compromise one to identity theft (unlike SSN/DOB info) and can be easily tracked back to us by the police even from the mainland.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

Pres. John Adams, Scholar and Statesman

"There's a scientific reason to be concerned and there's a scientific reason to push for action. But there's no scientific reason to despair."

NASA climate analyst Gavin Schmidt

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(
)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(
Please forgive me for being very stupid, but I know nothing about engraving - I thought this was something you did on jewellery, medals etc. Is this something you can do on anything, e.g., TVs, computers, garden tools etc.?

"Valuables" might mean different things to different people!

Tom
The machines use a high-speed vibrating hard steel point and work on most metals and plastics. I don't know about ceramic-type materials. Valuables are valuable in the eye of the owner, so we don't question what people choose to mark. Garden tools might be someone's pride and joy.

Cheers,
Jerry
A dremiel tool with a diamond bit, about a 30 dollar purchase, will write on anything. On large objects, such as machinery or tool boxes, where such scribing is easily obscured or ground off, using a wire feed welder to burn in numbers is an easy plan.