Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Milk of human kindness
Milk of human kindness.

About six months ago I answered a request on this Punaweb.

Some individual asked if anyone had a wheelchair for sale cheep. I responded to him and after talking with him I realized he didn’t have very much money and was in need of a wheelchair for his unfortunate brother, who was confined to a chair. This person said that his brother would be visiting him for around six weeks or so and needed a chair for upstairs and one for downstairs. The wheelchair that I had was new with about ½ hour of use, [cost about $500.00] Barbara my wife has two, one that the insurance bought and one that we purchased. His story touched me so I let him use the chair on the condition that he would return to me in the same shape that he borrowed it.

Not only did this person not return it he left the island. I located the place that he was staying and it belongs to his son. When I drove up into his driveway I was treated like a intruder. After explaining what I was there for he said, “oh yea, I remember something like that” and went to retrieve my chair. When he brought it to me I couldn’t believe what I was looking at. The rubber on both wheels was gone and the rims were ground down to nothing. The chair was left out in the rain and is a total rust bucket. The only apology I got was “sorry about that.”

I refuse to let this make me cold and callous to people in need, but from now on I will only deal with people that I know. Sorry for the hooting, I’m just pissed and needed to vent somewhere.

The Lack [V]
So sorry to hear that your generosity was so abused. It was good thing you did and a stupid and thoughtless thing they did.

You are a better man then they are.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Tom,

That is really awful. You were taken advantage of, but your generosity was a gift that was not unseen. It will come back to you. And, since the person went back to the mainland, he obviously was having a hard time with the aloha life.

One thing, it is possible that this guy tried to call you when you were in the hospital. I tried calling you at least 50 times during the time you were in the hospital and there was no answering machine. Finally close to the time you got home I caught the person that was taking care of your house. It is just a possibility. It certainly doesn't condone the way that the chair had been abused, but it might be that he just could not get a hold of you and his son just tossed it aside. Sad story.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
Email me Lack...

damontucker@yahoo.com

I'd like to discuss this further off the board.

It's a horrible thing that happened.

---------
Damon Tucker's Blog
FBI Blogs
People seldom change.

You will, I'm sure, continue to be kind and sensitive to those in need; The other guy will probably always be a jerk.

punatoons
http://damontucker.com/2009/05/29/milk-o...-pictures/

---------
Damon Tucker's Blog
FBI Blogs
Tom,

If you ball up a peice of aluminum foil and rub it on the rusty areas it will clean up really nice. Being partially disabled I feel where your coming from.
Rene
There is NO chance that this guy tried to call you. This was an inconsiderate scumbag with an attitude that they are 'entitled'. Often they can be best at playing the sympathy card. They will continue to do this to people the rest of their life. So sorry that your generousity wasn't appreciated.
Lack, my Mom is in a wheelchair so we understand how important having one is. It's her legs.

While working at an airline, I took a mandatory sensitivity training class. One of the tasks they gave us was to get into wheelchairs and manage our way around the corporate headquarters (5 stories) - which included going INTO and OUT OF the public restroom and elevators. It was a real eye-opener.

Tony always said whenever he lent money or items to someone that he was prepared for the possibility that he'd never get it back.

You and your lovely wife did a good thing. Too bad it was not appreciated. It's okay to vent sometimes.

Carrie Rojo

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." Barack Obama
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
When Sophie was confined to her wheelchair we quickly came to the conclusion that Handicap Access architects had never been in one.

Sorry to hear of your shabby treatment, Lack.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident