Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
roasting coffee
so...do you think that having green coffee in a bag for the past two years is now bad and not worth roasting?
peace
It probably won't roast well.
Rusty,

Sorry, but my original post to this subject did not seem to post, only your quote did. Here is an article that was written about coffee roasting and about me doing it for Edible East Bay magazine. Both resources have web pages and ship:

http://www.edibleeastbay.com/content/pag...ryThis.pdf

quote:
Originally posted by rusty h

Anyone here roast coffee and/or have suggestions on doing so? how long can a person store green (unroasted) coffee for?

peace

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
Rusty, Try it! What do you have to lose? Who knows how long beans sit in a warehouse before they are roasted? I stored my green beans in zip lock bags for about 4-5 months max. But I would try those beans anyway if I were you. You will not know till you tried.

quote:
Originally posted by rusty h

so...do you think that having green coffee in a bag for the past two years is now bad and not worth roasting?
peace

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
Thanks for all the input. Im going for it Devany

Peace
Let us know how it came out Rusty. Remember, there are several levels of roasting for various kinds of beans and for your personal taste, so if the first batch comes out funky, try more or less roasting. The online resources avaialable at Sweet Maria's should help give you a starting point.

Good news... my roaster will be here next week. I talked to our moving company and they will be here next week to unload and unpack our container! Whoopee. It took forty days.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
PS. My roaster also husks the beans and hte husks go into a filter. If you do it manually or with say, an air popper, you will have to remove all of the chaff from the beans. My unit also has a cooling cycle which is nice.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com