Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My favorite pet - your story
Regarding Sevin from the Mauiwindcam story... I have heard from everyone that dogs are not allowed on Hawaiian Beaches. ????

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
When Bear and I lived in Atlanta, we had a Briard (large semi-shaggy French herding dog) named Rocky. Rocky had the run of the house and was a great companion. I was in the habit at that time of stuffing single dollar bills given to me in change into my front pants pockets. At the end of the day, I would toss that day's dollars on top of my oversized nightstand. When enough dollars had accumulated, I would use them to buy pizza or some other treat.

At some point I noticed that there weren't nearly as many dollars in the night stand bank as there should be. I asked the Bear if he had used some of them for something, and he hadn't. I couldn't figure it out until a week later when I saw Rocky coming out of his hidey hole in the forsythia bushes. He had this place hollowed out in there where he kept his toys and a couple of bones. I crawled in there and found my money. Rocky had his own bank.

Well, I quit putting my pocket dollars where Rocky could get to them, but that wasn't the end of the story. That winter, when the screen door wasn't accessible for Rocky to exit the house on his own, we had a houseguest. One morning Rocky was scratching at the back door to get out. I was about to open the door when I noticed something in Rocky's mouth. It was the houseguest's wallet! He had laid it on the nightstand in the guest room. From then on we had to warn guests to keep their money somewhere Rocky couldn't get to it.

Cheerfully remembering Rocky 1992-2003,
Jerry
Jerry, thank you for the story!

I can not stop laughing!..

You should have put a warning for those drinking coffee while reading.

What a money grubbing SOB!
I wish it was a video!
In some banks they allow dogs. I am thinking...[Big Grin][Wink]

P.S. Jerry,you said he was a herding dog.
Money herding?
Well,if he could speak,he would say : "I am in money managing,dog honest!"
StillHope, Rocky had a very strong instinct to herd. When we had parties, especially outdoor parties, he would move around the group gradually bringing everyone closer together where they would be easier to watch. He would also jump about six feet straight up into the air and look around when he was at the highest point of the jump to see what was going on around the herd. Briards come from a snowy part of France, and Rocky loved to run and jump into, through, and over snow banks. Of course those behaviors are bred into Briards. I never figured out where the money-grubbing came from.

Cheers,
Jerry
Six feet jump! What a dog!
About the money "managing" -did you eat bacon or something before getting the change?
Update on previously posted story for those of you who might like a follow up on the cute Maui dog story. This is a video and should probably be avoided by those on dialup: http://www.mauiwindcam.com/blog/2008/10/...indcamcom/

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
For the new members who might want to contribute.
Thank you in advance.
Cgray posted this in another thread.

This is an amazing story and I hope Carol will forgive me the copyright violation[Smile].

So this is how to keep working dogs (Australian cattle dogs in this case) busy.

Hope you'll have something for those dogs to do, or else they will become self employed at something not of your choosing. The problem with smart working dogs is they need work to do, or else they get a little loony and find something to do on their own. We had family friends when I was a kid who ended up creating an agility course in their backyard for their blue heelers. They had a signal rigged to go off randomly to tell the dogs to run the course, those dogs spent all day waiting for the signal, instead of whatever negative behavior they had become self employed at. The neighbors all got a kick out of watching those dogs run the course when the bell rang.

This was the 70s pre video era, although I would bet at least one of the neighbors probably got some super 8 footage. They had to do the random signal for the dogs because when it was first set for every hour the dogs kept doing whatever until one minute before the signal, and then would line up waiting for the signal. Once they put it on a random time system they spent all day waiting for the bell.

One of the owners was a mathematician and computer programmer back in those pre-personal computer dark ages, so he programed it to run off a Rube Goldberg combo of a Radio shack digital clock, some mechanical clockworks, a school alarm bell and as I remember a calculator. He died a couple of years ago, I wish I could ask him exactly how he did it, but those dogs quit digging up his wife's asparagus and salad beds. They were her dogs, but he got the job of creating their electronic babysitter.