Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions Regarding Fern Acres and Kopua Farm Lots?
Thanks for the link Bullwinkle. The pics I found particularly intriguing and I posted about this on my blog.

Now EightFingers idea of starting your own neighborhood is interesting. Think we can apply for stimulus infrastructure funding? Of course he says "neighborhood"... hmmm

And finally... not trying to start anything really but so many Puna area people have warned me about rust of electronics (and appliances)... yet I am not finding much about this elsewhere. What gives?

-Blake
http://www.theboysgreatescape.blogspot.com/
Blake,

The information sources about moving to Hawaii do not tell you all of the bad stuff. Punawebbers will.

Everything is in a constant state of decay here. Rust, moisture damage and mold are everywhere and that is just the way it is here (not just in Puna, but in much of Hawaii). If you do not seal off your house and A/C - Dehumidify it, this will happen. Extended warranties do not cover rust damage for some things, so if you get one, read the fine print. Sears extended warranties are reasonable and so are their prices on electronics and appliances and they are on the island. They frequently have sales and really good deals including free delivery.

You can have leather, but it has to be in an area with good circulation and should be wiped down frequently.

Speakers are subject to corrosion and have a short life, mostly this is due to insulation (foam) deteriorating and connections rusting. Most appliances start to rust immediately. You can slow the exterior rusting by wiping dry frequently, but the moisture gets into places that you cannot reach (motors etc.).

Patio furniture totally falls apart, buy plastic when possible. Our house came with several sets of nice powder coated furniture. They are 1 year old and the rust has completely eaten away the finish underneath them and on some of the arms. You can sand and repaint a couple of times a year if you want to, but I suggest plastic.

Our grill is one year old, a top of the line stainless steel professional style grill. It is covered with rust. The cover that came on it when we bought the house in August looked more like cheesecloth. I bought a new one. We are going to sand and paint the "stainless steel" on the grill with black heat proof rustoleum.

We live directly on the water, so our items do get more moisture than some and we are also fighting salt spray. I have to wash windows once a week or two weeks at the least. No biggie when you use a squeegee. Some people that live at slightly higher elevations than us have said it is worse when you live back from the constant breezes of the ocean.

This group often shares ideas about lifestyle choices and dealing with the moisture and protecting the treasures you have.

The bottom line is that you have to know that certain things are just not going to last. If you are prepared for that, you can decide what you really want to bring. It also helps in budgeting if you are going to retire, as you have to factor in replacement costs and maintenance.

There are a few other things to keep in mind... Bugs! Irresponsible dog and chicken owners! Rats!

Remember, this move is bringing you lots of good things! Your lifestyle will improve Exponentially and you will probably live longer here. The community here is full of friendly people and socially there are a multitude of fantastic experiences ahead of you. You will be able to be more active and the fresh fruits and vegetables here are superior to a mainland diet. There are many benefits to living here. Rust and decay are just one of the prices to pay. All I have to do is look out of my windows to be reminded that moving here was the best decision we have ever made.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
Rust never sleeps and stainless steel is just that. It stains "less" it isn't "stain-not". It also comes in a variety of grades, 306 or better will last a lot longer than what is touted as "stainless steel" by many manufacturers. Bronze is good, it will last a lot longer than many metals in a salt water environment. Bronze fastened wood yard furniture will last awhile - such as Adirondack chairs but you'd probably have to make them yourself, I dunno anyone who sells them. Jay could probably put some together for you and he's a boatie kinda guy so it would be marine grade.

I'm sure if we went to your high desert inner city environment, we would have to make a lot of changes to the way we live, too.

It can take awhile to find just the right spot and even the perfect spot can change so spend as much time as you can on looking around. Also, there are things which are obvious from the land itself which you may want to consider. Most properties on this island don't have much in the way of amenities such as sewers, trash pickup, mail delivery, water service, power, cable, etc. so if those are a concern, you should inquire if they are available.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Blake,
Since our lot is AG20, our neighbors are gonna have to be ohia trees. ..oh, and maybe the occasional volcanic eruption, I guess [}Smile]

I remember talking to someone in Pepeekeo about where we have our land and he looked at me like I just came from the moon [Big Grin]
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Just wanted to let you guys know I am following up and reading your responses and really appreciate all of them. Thank you so much for your time and sharing of experiences and ideas.

Loved this... just my style:

"Bronze fastened wood yard furniture will last awhile - such as Adirondack chairs but you'd probably have to make them yourself, I dunno anyone who sells them. Jay could probably put some together for you and he's a boatie kinda guy so it would be marine grade."

And Devany cheers to this:

"Remember, this move is bringing you lots of good things! Your lifestyle will improve Exponentially and you will probably live longer here. The community here is full of friendly people and socially there are a multitude of fantastic experiences ahead of you. You will be able to be more active and the fresh fruits and vegetables here are superior to a mainland diet. There are many benefits to living here. Rust and decay are just one of the prices to pay. All I have to do is look out of my windows to be reminded that moving here was the best decision we have ever made."

Would love a further rust/rust prevention discussion sometime but will start another topic thread so this one does not get all off subject.

-Blake
http://www.theboysgreatescape.blogspot.com/