Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pahoa closed early
Yesterday me and a frind went to pahoa town to enjoy a dinner.The time was about 8pm every resturant told us that they just stop serving dinner but we could have drinks. to me it seemed strange on a friday night that buisness people dont want to bring in more money.the town seems like it needs a boost or is it just me?
it could be that pahoa town isn't safe after dark...Their has been alot of people beaten up in the downtown part of pahoa. especially around Shaka's.

setting my soul free....
setting my soul free....
Thankfully, no more Shaka's.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
We went to Laquin's at about 7:00. There was a popular comedian from Oahu performing at the Akebono. Parking lot was closed main steet. Entrance was in side/rear of lot. There was security for the event. Parking lots where full The restaurant was packed. People waiting to see the show made it congested on the side walk. Had to wait 10 minute to sit at Laquins. We were advised dinner would take an hour to be served. So one of us ran accross an checked the other restaurants. Waiting even at Paulos... A friend came for pizza. They were sold out of pizza. The food industry was not prepared for this event. My guess is there was no food to serve.

Aloha
Wyatt

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
quote:
Originally posted by lostboystoy

it could be that pahoa town isn't safe after dark...Their has been alot of people beaten up in the downtown part of pahoa. especially around Shaka's.

setting my soul free....

Pahoa is safe after dark. The reason the restaurants close by 8pm is because there is very little volume by that time of night. Pahoa is a small town in a country setting, most people like to eat early and get back home. Lot’s of people don’t get beat up in downtown part of Pahoa. Most of the street fights did occur at Shaka’s between locals. Your indication of the town not being safe would have very little to do with Kaleo’s which has it’s own parking lot and attendant, Paulo’s and Nings that are also at the other end of town. My wife and I went to Shaka’s on a few Friday and Saturday nights to see bands play and never had a problem. Oh, BTW did I mention we are haoles….[Big Grin]Don't post if you don't know the specifics.

Maybe you should come on down one weekend and check it out, but you better stay away from the dark alleys you might get beaten-up

"Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I look for my dreams and a pocket full of gold" Led Zeppelin
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
I love Pahoa. It's an old, quaint town. Not pretentious and has plenty of charm. I'm haole and never felt threatened in Pahoa. Still want to get our butts into Kaleo's though. I've heard mostly good about it.

Carrie Rojo

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." Barack Obama
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
quote:
Originally posted by punafish

Thankfully, no more Shaka's.

I respectfully disagree.

I think Shaka's (Pahoa Lounge, Punatics, whatever name it is/has been) serves a purpose. You could go there and hear music without being subjected to mediocre food. Maybe it's just that being a late baby boomer I still enjoy an evening out past 9 PM once in awhile and don't want to go Uncle Mikey's.

There have been many fine musicians who have played there, and fundraisers/benefits that have been there over the years. I saw Willy K there my very first time in the early 90's.

A bar has some inherent issues with it no matter where it is. Look at Nichol's Pub downtown, Charlies (and all its successors) or the problems with the various incarnations of the location of Uncle Mikey's.

Pahoa is safer as a town than it has been in years. Yes things do occur. But no town in America is completely safe. You take precautions. Twenty five years ago, I stupidly went to clubs in Hollywood, with a convertible, alone. Safe? Pahoa is 100 x safer than that today.
"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me."
-Dudley Field Malone