Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taylor Camp
Folks don't like it when you mess with fantasies especially when they justify their actions and other beliefs.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
quote:
Originally posted by oink

What is or was the sand witch?

The Sand Witch was a small bar with sandwiches at Sugar beach started by Puna's own - Kele of Da Banana Boys in late 70's.
"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me."
-Dudley Field Malone
I was gone by then although I did work as the day cook in one of the early kehei condos in 73.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Puna's own version of Taylor Camp was known as "Rainbow ranch". Same era; would have made for an interesting "cannibis cup" competition. It was on some acreage owned by Jack Lord of hawaii 5-0 fame (I've never heard of him having actually been there). Rainbow Ranch was a couple of miles down Kamaili (Opihikau) Rd.
When I visited Rainbow Ranch in the mid-1970s it was owned by John Phillip Law (he was an actor who played the role of the angel in the movie Barbarella, among others). It was managed by his brother, Tom.

It seems like there were some fairly major differences between Rainbow Ranch and Taylor Camp, however, which meant it didn't draw the ire of authorities like on Kauai. Among other things, there was a much smaller population and only a few houses at Rainbow, and they were fairly "normal" in construction.

back in those days my good friend had a house right next door to the camp...i used to ride her horse around there..it was fricken paradise back then in Haena...
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Smith

When I visited Rainbow Ranch in the mid-1970s it was owned by John Phillip Law (he was an actor who played the role of the angel in the movie Barbarella, among others). It was managed by his brother, Tom.

It seems like there were some fairly major differences between Rainbow Ranch and Taylor Camp, however, which meant it didn't draw the ire of authorities like on Kauai. Among other things, there was a much smaller population and only a few houses at Rainbow, and they were fairly "normal" in construction.

Is that where the Hare Krisnas are now? or above it? I remember some one who lives now on Kamaili talking about it.

I just love hearing the history!
"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me."
-Dudley Field Malone