Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snorkel gear for those who wear glasses
I used to have a dive shop & still have a couple of companies (NOT name brand) that I still order from.
Diopters (the prescription lenses) run in the area of $12-$24 per side for standard diopter prescriptions. Your current mask may be able to accept standard diopters, depending on the shape of the lens.
There are also adhered diopters that glue into a mask, but this does not allow you to change lens strengths, and s normally done in a optical shop that has a UW specialty...

If you are interested in ordering, I can get you more infor on the companies I have used- email me at:
kidsdivein@usa.com

I need to replace my prescription mask so thanks for all the suggestions and links. Years ago (like DECADES!), I just bought a good mask in Hilo and went to my optical dispensers and they ordered my long range prescript. Then they cut about about tennis-ball sized holes in my mask and inserted the lenses for me. Cost me $50 after paying for the mask. I used them for many happy years. It was the mask that gave up before the lenses.
Amendment: I went into Sports Authority today and asked about prescription masks and was told they don't carry them. I'm sure other dive shops in kona do though.

There is now a new Sports Authority over on the Kona side in the new Kona Commons if you make the trip over to the west Side.

quote:
Originally posted by oink

I bought prescription masks at the Sports Authority at a very reasonable cost several years ago. You might try them online.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
I've had my Tusa mask with prescription lenses for nine years. I love it! It was one of my best investments. You're good to go for a long time as long as your prescription doesn't change radically.

My husband even has bi-focal lenses in his!

Go for it!
Just had a funny visual: What if you leave your glasses (along with other stuff) on the beach and they get stolen? What would other drivers think if they saw you wearing your mask as you were driving back home? [Big Grin]

Interesting about bi-focals - would you really need them in tne ocean? I guess I need to think about that too.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
You could very well need bi-focals for many scenarios. One scenario for divers is the need to read their gauges while seeing further afield as well. Also the need to focus on a camera close up as well as the photo subject. There are many reasons someone might need bi-focals.

Andrew

quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

Interesting about bi-focals - would you really need them in tne ocean? I guess I need to think about that too.

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".