Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unknown frog in Waa Waa?
Frog I.D.
Sorry; no photos of this little dude…
Recently we were in the Waa Waa subdivision (Puna District) clearing cane from the entry of our lot into our driveway.
I opened the door on the Jeep and a black frog/toad jumped up on the door threshold from the ground, an expert hitch hiker it appeared. I went to pick it up to put it back in the bushes but stopped short realizing it was a color I had never seen before.
Only had a quick look, but on its back it had Black tightly wrinkled skin with a vibrant red color within the lower regions of the wrinkles. It was about 1” long from the tail bone to the tip of the nose. I reached down to pick it up and get a better look at it all around and it jumped under the car seat and disappeared.
I looked at all the known frogs in Hawaii (including the wrinkled frog) and it doesn’t come close in appearance to anyone of the 7 listed. I also looked for any frogs that might look similar anywhere on the web and found nothing even close except for a small black toad in South America that had no lower region red in its wrinkles, the toad also appeared to be far too small.
Any ideas on what it may have been?

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
I've seen lots of different colored Coqui Frogs. Some are blackish, some brown I think those are the males. And they're smaller than the females.
Some are almost transparent. I think the females.

BTW does anyone know of a good over the counter (Organic) Pesticide for Coquis? Just to spray the perimeter of the house with?

One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
Citric Acid is commonly used but it's used for direct application so I doubt it will keep them off the house but it might for a day or two. Citric acid will kill many other things too.
Unfortunately the only effective battle against Coqui frogs would lead to the destruction of far too many other critters. It's a no win situation.
I do have a remedy for the problem though... I've got an upfront ocean view 3 acre parcel for sale over in Kula Kai View Estates (Below HOVE); there's ZERO Coqui frogs over there and for that matter theres nearly 0 anything with the exception of a few ferns and knarly Ohia trees. Great views though (when the VOG isn't choking one out)Smile
As per it being a Coqui frog... I don't know as it was far removed in appearance, especially the texture along with the color as they were nothing like the Coquis I've had hop on me.

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
How come you have no coquis on that Kula Kai property? Is it bare lava?

Baking soda will keep coquis away, but the problem is the rain washing it away again.
Keeping the lot clear (not too wild) would help.

I've also seen very dark coquis. Maybe the red was a wound?