Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pay As You Go Internet?
Yesterday on NPR they played a segment called "Internet Bandwidth Hogs May Soon Pay For It", a podcast of this article can be heard at http://www.npr.org/templates/player/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=103041709&m=103054528

In it it is said that Time Warner, the owner of our local Road Runner internet provider, is working up to switching to a pay as you go (or use) bandwidth billing model, that will allow users a fixed amount of bandwidth per month, with any usage over that fixed amount being billed as extra. The numbers quoted in their tiered billing structure are 1 gig per month for regular service, 5 gigs a months for premium service, and a 1 dollar charge for every gig over that.

The reporter was quick to point out that this system, especially at such low allowable amounts of traffic, is in direct competition with the way many people use the internet, especially if one uses sites like hulu.com, or streaming video from Netflix etc. while Time Warner is in the business, through their cable tv service, to sell the user the same entertainment.

So, my question is, how many gigs of traffic (both uploading and downloading) do you use a month?

Another question is, if you use such sites as hulu, where a one hour tv show can amount to close to 500 megs, would you be willing to pay Oceanic 50 cents for the ability to watch that show? Or Netflix, where a streaming HD movie can amount to upwards of 7 gigs (7 bucks!)

My take on this is that it is priced so high as to really limit the internet and its use in my life. My wife, who works from home a major part of the time, uses well over 1 gig a month just for work. If I had a house full of kids (they've all grown) how much would their legitimate network usage be? So what is a 'reasonable' amount of bandwidth for the 'average' household? I ask this question first to try and get a perspective on my own use, and secondly to start the discussion here on what I figure will be a major showdown between our ISP's and our way of using the internet in the future, especially as more and more web sites pop up providing more and more to do, with more content (bandwidth) to download to enjoy them. Sheesh, just going to the home page of cnn.com is almost a one meg download. I suspect there will be a considerable amount of dissatisfaction with this plan, but wonder if there will be a way for concerned people to have a say in how this all goes down. After all it is not like most of us have a choice. There is only one ISP where I am, no choice but Road Runner here. So, will our PUC get involved? and if so to what end?

Any comments?
You mean you cannot get a phone line but you have cable???

We have premium service and use about 3 gigs a month (two people in our house and we do not watch many movies online or do huge downloads unless I am working on graphic design where I have to send Adobe files back and forth to the mainland printer. I have done a lot of that this month. Still, $1 for a gig is cheap (IMHO).

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
quote:
Originally posted by Devany

You mean you cannot get a phone line but you have cable??? ...

Many places here have residential phone service but not DSL because HT's equipment does not at this time have enough room (nodes?). There is quite a waiting list for DSL service in our area. Kinda like trying to get a rent controlled apt in Santa Monica.

DSL also has a maximum distance that the house can be from the main equipment room (to keep it simple). I belive that distance is around 3 miles or so. It can vary slightly dependent upon the quality/age of the actual copper lines.
Hilarous comparrison Cat. Got ya.

Well, we do live on an island in the middle of the Pacific, I guess we have to expect that the further out from town you live the less you get in the way of technology.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com