Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna land prices?
Wonder where the figure of 50,000 people moving to Puna during the next 10 years comes from? Good for the builders, speculators and realtors, but what do the residents feel about that? Are you looking forward to bigger highways, planned communities, the usual litany of fast-food joints and more tourists; perhaps a few golf courses to entertain the rich? Are Punatics looking forward to this type of growth along with the consequences of it?

Interestingly one of the few places that I’ve seen the local residents take control of their neighborhood development is Hanalei, Kauai.

After you cross planned development of Princeville (where all the native vegetation has been removed) and cross the steel bridge, you enter the magic kingdom of Hanalei, where natural beauty rules and preserved all the way to NaPali coast.

Somehow they managed control development and keep those who would sell every nook and cranny of the place under control.

http://www.hawaiiislandjournal.com/2005/05a05a.html

"People come to Puna because they like living in the country and its beauty," noted Jenny Bach, who was born and raised in Hawai'i, has never lived on the continent, and lives and farms in Opihikao on the Red Road. "Why do we focus on cars and roads? This could turn into Southern California-with rain."

Ajit

Edited by - adias on 07/28/2006 11:08:48
Whatever happened with the Oneloa spa that was planned for lower Puna? It was supposed to be a spa for Japanese travelers & athletes. It was going to go down along Pohoiki Rd to the warm pond. There was a lot of controversy because they planned a golf course and tearing out the mangos on Pohoiki Rd. The county was requiring a lot of infrastructure and a new escape rd for lower Puna. The last time I heard anything about it was around 5 yrs ago. I am wondering if the newfound renewal of Puna will cause this development to rear it's ugly head again.

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa
I believe the plan maybe not with the Japanese but the sports facility is still churning around.
Aimee,
Do you want to go in the biz together? LOL
It sounds like it would be a nice thing to do! Business could be great, get workouts, diets and spa.....with all of the overweigh folks that the US has and needs more retreats like this.
Aloha,
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheLanai
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!