Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emergency Preparedness Fair
To be held on May 16th from 9am-12pm at the LDS (Mormon) Church on kilauea ave. next to 7-11 in hilo. There will be displays on solar energy, food storage, home production, gardening, and more. Come and check it out!

Daniel R Diamond
Daniel R Diamond
Is this a personal/home event only or is there a business side to it as well?
Any web site for info? Too bad I won't be on the island for another 6 weeks...

I do business continuity/disaster planning for businesses. I am intrigued in how being on an island affects the scope of planning and actual recovery ops that would occur.
We live on one of the most isolated pieces of real estate on earth, and disaster issues should be given top priority.
The intriguing part would how existing businesses have actually planned (if they even have) for what many consider to be the cataclysmic event on the Big island...

My geologist friend tells me "Don't worry about the volcano. It isn't the blow up kind. It just oozes. Worry about when the island breaks off and slides into the ocean, but it shouldn't do that for a few thousand more years or more." He will then add that geologists make a lot of guesses as to when events will happen. He has a dry sense of humor. [:0]

I assume most businesses on the island do plan for disaster, but on a smaller scale; fire, earthquake, flood, etc. Being on an island with limits caused by shipping, etc. put a lot of stress on a recovery plan. Like I said, I am intrigued...

Not business related. No website, but that is a good idea.

Daniel R Diamond
Daniel R Diamond
Business continuity courses and teachers on the mainland do not delve into scenarios such as being on an island. My brain has been in research mode all night. Going to research the state and county plans... Smile