Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How people protest.
How people protest and why.

I have always wondered just what is the purest form of protest? If one wanted to make a statement because they are disillusioned, disgusted, insulted, or just plain pissed off. What avenue or form would you use to get your point across. [?] [?] [?]

Example: [but please use your own]

County council is using a power ploy orchestrated by the Mayor as to control the majority vote on spending.

The Lack

The Lack Toons
If an elected official has acted in a manner that I personally believe violated the core trust I placed in that person and I no longer believe the person has the best interest of the people, I would "protest" by initiating and spearheading a recall effort. It's time consuming, punishing on a person, pits friend against friend, and places a target on your back, BUT, anything less (in my book) is just complaining and whining.
Great topic. Initiating an email campaign to all the members of the legislature, peaceful sign waiving, writing letters to the editors of local media are all good ways to get their attention.

I must say it's hard to get people involved. Even when they are vocal about the unfairness and lack of dignity the group receives, trying to get them to actually participate in a protest - even sending a pre-written email (all the work is done for them!) is sometimes difficult. They figure that someone else will do it. This can be disheartening.

Carrie Rojo

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com

"...So began the massacre of the Shaolin Temple and all sixty of the monks inside at the fists of the White Lotus. And so began the legend of Pai Mei's five-point-palm-exploding-heart technique." - Bill
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
My suggestion to those who might be unhappy with county government is to watch for a series of citizen initiatives to come forth over the next several months.

Be prepared to walk your neighborhoods, clipboards in hand, to gather signatures on a variety of issues. This is doable. This is better than lip flapping.

Because the council found it easy to undo the 2% Land Preservation Fund this may come forward soon as a Charter Amendment Initiative.

I have personally been advocating for other Charter Amendments as well.

Changing the percentage of signatures required for recall of a public official from registered voters to number of voters in the last election.

Requiring the CoH to provide services (parks & recreation for example) on a per capita basis.

This local government is not used to citizen initiatives.... not the plantation way.

Watching the Council and Mayor circumvent the intent and purpose of the community is firing up folks to take direct action.

Great way to protest in my opinion.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Sit back and drink beer...

I lived in the Midwest for sometime and grew fed up w/ the way things were being handled in regards to new arrivals in the city, housing laws, hiring practices, etc...

So I got a job as an investigator for the Human Rights Commission in a small town in MN...

Was proactive, did what I could, wrote letters, petitioned the state representatives, went to the capital, the whole nine. Nothing if any changed. Long hours, no change, gold-ol-boys mentality, took a toll...

So now I watch from the sidelines and root for those who want to see change. Good luck...

When you get tired and/or deflated, a cold one is on ice for you to re-juice...

While it is a cliche, I have found this effective:
"Work within the system to change the system."

Perhaps this has worked better for me because I have some education about and have been employed by the 'system'. So, I understand it.

1) Easy? No. That's why it works.
2) Rewarding? Yes. Even when any single effort falls short, the organizing done builds for the future.
3) Effective? Yes. (see 2 above)

Most importantly, never, ever, give up.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park

Picketing in front of a specific office, business, or other building (as distinct from sign-waving along a road or intersection) such that the picket line must be crossed by customers and workers.

Boycotts, widely advertised and sustained over time --sometimes years in duration-- targeting offending businesspeople, companies, and agencies.

Lampooning offending politicians, businesspeople, and institutions via web & print media based cartoons, on the radio, and in Letters to the Editor as well as through satire in performance art. Local residents held pig roasts replete with costumes and performance art on the sidewalks in front of a corrupt local politician's houses in Alaska, drawing wide attention to their venal outrages; many were subsequently convicted and jailed.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

Pres. John Adams, Scholar and Statesman

"There's a scientific reason to be concerned and there's a scientific reason to push for action. But there's no scientific reason to despair."

NASA climate analyst Gavin Schmidt

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(
)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(