Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appliances
bringing this forward for stainless steel info page 3 gets into it preety good. Hope those interested enjoy.

Aloha HADave

"Great Truths About Growing Old"

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.....)

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

I am looking for any comments/opinions on a 25 cu. ft. LG refrigerator, bottom freezer, french doors on top. My wife wants the stainless steel finish (about $300 more than white or black and same as titanium) because of how it will match some other kitchen appliances, even though I've apprised her of many of the opinions on this thread. She doesn't like the look of the titanium. There are not many comments on epinions.com, except that it's very quiet compared several other brands. Home Depot carries them.

We used to have a side-by-side reefer and for the space reasons given in other posts, we don't want to go that route. Also, side-by-sides are typically less energy efficient than over/unders. We are looking at bottom freezers because we rarely use the freezer and having the whole reefer part up higher is more convenient to us. We were considering counter-depth, reefer only models but they are really hard to get, you can't get a left-hinged one, and they are ridiculously expensive. The counter-depth models keep items more within easy reach, so you don't lose things in the back, but they have smaller capacities. Reefer-only models work for our vegan food needs, but it's difficult to find a good small freezer, and one would take up more space than we want to give it.

We have heard from a Sears sales person that stainless steel causes moisture to condense on the external surface at higher elevations. We haven't found any sales rep who knows about this, although one sales rep at HD who used to work at Sears said that his experience is that external condensation happens when the insulation in the doors is irregularly distributed. And Lucy's comment about the stainless steel being only on one side, the door, is a good one. I don't have any appliance rust experiences to help with her questions.

Are black and white finishes on reefers porcelain enamel or paint? We were told that the titanium finish is a layer of the metal. In CA, we "freshened up" our appliances by sending them out to be re-enameled. Of course, it did nothing for the energy efficiency.

We picked up a set of LG front-loading washer & dryer. Good capacity, quiet and does a great job. The washer spins at high RPMs (adjustable) and can really vibrate if you don't have the feet adjusted and if the floor under it flexes a lot. The dryer doesn't spin fast enough to create a vibration problem. We switched from a 220V dryer to a propane model; hope to see some electricity savings. We used rigid metal ducting to vent, which was a pain for our installer, but it's set up very nicely, now.

I'll tell you about our Toto toilets after they're installed.

Les

Edited by - Les C on 09/09/2006 22:34:38
Ok I'll jump in here, LOL.

Well I definitely agree that the sideXside's are useless. I too would like to have the double door refer on the top and freezer below as I have experience with one.

We had an old 1966's fridge called a General Electric "Americana" gold harvest brown, it was huge, the freezer was twice the size of the refrig compartment.

The freezer was on the bottom (solid drawer) and french doors on top. It was huge, the new ones are much nicer and better proportioned. I agree we don't use a freezer that much so having it below is a bonus!

Try to get one where the freezer bottom is solid not made of wire, where all the cold air will fall to the floor each and every time you open it.

We were moving and it was toooo big to fit into the new space so we bought a Jenn-Aire. Oh well nothing to write home about let me tell you.

Oh YES I have a stainless steel Jenn-Aire side by side currently and would never own another. The stainless steel (I'm sure it isn't top grade stainless for a top name appliance!) looks soooo nice, when it is clean. If you even look at the refrigerator with any butter or oil on your hands, it jumps over there and sticks! LOL. A friend in the restaurant business said to clean it with rubbing alcohol and I have and I rub and rub and forget it no more.

Give me enamel any day any color!! That's my take I'm sure there are others! LOL

mella

PS. As HADave pointed out re magnets!, well magnets do stick to my "stainless" steel Jenn-Aire refer, so ayut, not good quality here on the stainless!

Edited by - mella l on 09/10/2006 03:49:38
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA