Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Island Chevrolet closes in Hilo and Kona
Anyone who bought a car from Island cheverolet with a maintainence agreement will not be able to use it anymore. The only 2 chevrolet dealers on the island closed shop on Monday.

quote from article in Hilo newspaper:

"The dealerships have closed and their service departments were finishing up their last repairs yesterday. When the mechanics' bays closed for the last time, General Motors' government-backed warranties became worthless for Big Island owners of GM vehicles.

Other dealers have stepped up, Clark said, "but GM hasn't taken them up on it," leaving the Big Island with no options for covered service."

Did the dealership actually close or did they just stop selling new Chevrolet cars and doing warranty service? I would imagine that any dealership in this position would try to "reinvent" itself by continuing to operate as a used car dealership and servicing cars, just not as an official Chevy service center. Most dealers make more money off of service than new car sales so keeping the service open should seem to be a no-brainer?
I passed the dealership in Kona last Sunday night, and it was EMPTY. Totally closed, not a car or person in sight.
Anyone heard what Chevy is doing for warranty service on the big island?
Maybe these Chevy owned dealerships know that a government owned company will not be able to compete in a open and free market. They may be bailing out of GM and changing to a different auto company that may have a future. I do believe that the only way that GM will be able to survive is if our government will place big orders from their own company [GM].

Folks this is only the beginning, Predisent Obama is already bring his CHANGE to the Big Island. The ONLY people that will win here are the union workers in Detroit and all of the union people on a retirement plan form GM.

The Lack
I understand there is a move afoot to transfer warrantee to other gm affiliates,

Having said that - how many Buick, Olds, Pontiac dealers on island?

The good news is my 94 beater van (long bed 10 mpg work truck) will soon be worth 4500 dollars, as an incentive to send it to the car crusher.

What is that old line about it being a ill wind, if it isn’t good for somebody - ....I dont even have to invest in a can of bondo for the rust holes