Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White Dog on 130
Just now - about 3PM 7/7, as I was cruising down 130 near the entrance to Black Sands I saw a very disoriented white lab mix kinda dog - maybe 50-60# just standing in the middle of the hwy. It looked to be a well cared for dog that maybe has been lost for just a little while.(No collar)

I actually stopped to try and get it off the hwy and into the car but it was so scared and confused that it dashed off into the bushes mauka side of the road. It seemed like a very cool dog and I'm betting somebody is missing it.

Maybe I should have posted this on one of the other lost dog threads - but I'm sure it wasn't one of the others that are missing. Maybe we need a general pet lost and found thread.
Uluhe Design
Native Landscape Design
uluhedesign@yahoo.com
call Pele [:o]

* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
I agree, we need a permanent, easy accessible website for lost and found pets, where the pictures or description is posted and kept
indefinitely.
Newspapers, the free ad only runs 3 days, Radio stations will put an alert out, but that only reaches a certain audience who happen to be listening. Craigslist usually will keep the post for 30 days if it is not flagged,
Humane society, will not post pictures of animals being brought in, if they do not have a collar or microchip, the odds are they will be put down that day, as they are limited on space. It also impossible for people to meet their requirements to stop by every day to check if their pet has been turned in.
Donna Whitaker is the executive director for the Hawaii Island Humane Society, she can be reached at the Kona branch 329-1175 The board of directors hold their meetings in Kona and that is where all decisions about HIHS is made. Any changes in policy has to be cleared through Kona. If there was such a website with pictures posted, it would give HIHS a place to check to find out if there is a match. Wishful thinking on my part, but the pain that people go through losing a beloved pet is worth putting this out there.
The HIHS has recently updated their website....
They do have pictures of adoptable animals, and the page does seem much more current than a couple of years ago:
http://www.hihs.org/RP_Adoptable.asp?cid=All

Although it would be great to have pictures of all animals that are brought in... it may not be financially feasible (both the time and the web space... but I am sure that if a large financial contribution were made for such a purpose, there may be a way). I am impressed with the new site... it does seem more current, but maybe someone else has been paying more attention to it.
Carey, you are right, the website has improved, the pets are lovely, but these are the adoptable ones.

What about the ones that falls through the cracks, people tend to give up and stop looking, so when a lost pet in poor condition does show up, there is no way to trace the owner, so it will probably be taken to HIHS
Having a website just for lost and found pets, where anyone can search the archives at any time would be great. It would have to be separate from HIHS because of the possibility of being sued for putting a pet down. [Sad]

Since Donna has taken over at the Humane Society you can see the difference, plus she is accessible and open to ideas.

http://www.hawaii247.org/2009/01/29/whit...e-society/

Hopefully, positive changes will be implemented at the Keaau facility
which still has many problems and a lousy reputation!