Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hilo flights to cost more
Another reason Hawaii's airports are at sea level is the fact that all the major transport aircraft in the 1930 were amphibians or sea planes.
Even the forerunner of Hawaiian was using sea planes.
quote:
Originally posted by JerryCarr

Obie is right about the economics of flying to Hawaii. When I lived in Atlanta, I had a friend who worked in revenue management for Delta. He knew I was traveling to Hawaii a lot and told me that they had a lot of "non-revenue" traffic on all their Hawaii routes. This would include frequent flyers on awards and employees on passes. He went on to say that a very high percentage of Delta's paid traffic to Hawaii was leisure-oriented, and that they sold very few paid first class or full-fare coach class tickets for profitable business travel.

As far as the main runway at Hilo is concerned, it can indeed handle wide-body jets. FedEx has landed MD-11s there for years, and I think a 747 version of Air Force One even landed in Hilo not too many years ago.

Cheers,
Jerry

Is that why USAirways is adding a Charlotte,NC to HNL non-stop in Dec? There must be a little money in it to add a route. They are not subtracting any of their PHX to Hawaii flights. (Was Charlotte-PHX - ITO, HNL, OGG or Lihue.)
"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me."
-Dudley Field Malone