Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teacher Union Commercials on Radio
Anyone heard these on the radio? The teachers union is paying for radio commercials, most likely to get public support for the teachers.

The staggering part is when the commercial mentions that the 8% pay cut means that the average teacher has a $500 per month cut in pay as a result of the furloughs. This means that before the furloughs, the average teacher was making $6,250 per month or approximately $75,000 per year?

Put another way, the average teacher (using the union numbers) makes $5,750 a month and works 4 days per week now.

Edit:
Here is the link to the actual radio ad as posted on the HSTA (union) web site.
[url][/url]http://www.hsta.org/audio/dtynan_60.mp3

bad math somewhere
doe.k12.hi.us/personnel/teachersalaryschedule.pdf

however don't let any of this distract from the real issue that creates all of this, the massive amount of "tax payer" funded bureaucracy that is the DOE.
doe.k12.hi.us/personnel/teachersalaryschedule.pdf

That chart is starting pay, based upon initial qualifications.

Still, to have the teachers union use bad math and bad figures is the point.
Teachers have 190 school days per year. This year they may have 17 days furlough. That equals 8%
To catch up, this fall most have had 2 to 3 furlough days per month from Mid-Oct. That equals 15-20%.
If you look at $500 being 15-20%, that puts their pay in line with the average pay.

Not bad math, nor bad figures, just bad timing for teachers this fall.

ETA: may also be the 10 month pay teachers (those that get their paychecks over 10 months would also have ~$500 per month...Do not know how they are handling the 12 month paychecks...
ETAII: Link from NEA on pay:
http://www.nea.org/home/3621.htm
quote:
Originally posted by mdd7000

Anyone heard these on the radio? The teachers union is paying for radio commercials, most likely to get public support for the teachers.

Must be taking notes from "California Teachers Association" - the union's "President" is the #1 radio advertiser during ANY ballot measure concerning ANYTHING about schools.

Why does Hawaii & California rank among the highest per student costs - but near the bottom in achievement?

Could it be a "TOP" heavy school administration (union) wasting money protecting their "jobs" - while the "grassroots" teachers are busting their A** to TEACH!

I've been to "Garage Sales" with teachers buying "supplies" for their classrooms (out of their own salary) - SOMETHINGS wrong!!
Lots of things are wrong. I am not sure hubby would agree with all my opinions on this subject but the truth is that most of the children in the public schools grew up speaking pidgin. That makes proper English a second language for them. If the schools would recognize this there would be a lot of changes that would help these children. What happened to school from 7:30 until 3:30, five days a week? What happened to teachers having one prep period a day? The trend for year round school is a good theory but it is not working. Sustained, consistent classroom time with a summer vacation as a privilege for those who are successfully productive and summer school for those who are not.... Oh, bad me. I have this crazy idea that children should be taught discipline at home. If a child is a behavior problem, it should be up to the parent to come to school and get them... NOW. The excuse that they have a job doesn't fly with me. They have a job, and they have a child. Neither goes away because of the other. If the wrath of mom or dad taking off work is felt, there is home pressure to be in school, stay in school, behave in school.....

Oh, gosh, is that a soapbox I am standing on? Better step down before one of you knocks me off!!!

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"

One of the best I've read on here, Pam.

ETA quote
David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
quote:
Originally posted by pslamont

Lots of things are wrong. I am not sure hubby would agree with all my opinions on this subject but the truth is that most of the children in the public schools grew up speaking pidgin. That makes proper English a second language for them. If the schools would recognize this there would be a lot of changes that would help these children.

This is false, and makes no logical sense.

if this is true, what language do the British speak?

this kind of thinking is a silly opinion that is constantly thrown around in this state from people that are clueless.

Edited for typo
Had to jump in here. Pslamont is right on target. I had to do massive amounts of research on the subject last year and without boring anyone with the details, Hawaii schools absolutely suck in delivering an education. Check DOE and Fed's "No Child Left Behind" and it will scare you if you have a child in public school on the Big Island. Is the language in the USA English or Pidgin.....HELLO?

808blogger.... your logic gives a conclusion that is not sound, not Pslamont's. If a child wants to be educated in a University outside of Hawaii, will the placement tests be done in English or Pidgin? If they want more than a job at a convenience store will they be judged on their ability to read and write English not Pidgin? God forbid they would actually want to venture off the island and have to compete with a peer group that speaks English not Pidgin. This is where you premise about British English falls apart. The Brit has an automatic advantage over someone who only speaks Pidgin as a primary language, except at perhaps the local supermarket in Hilo.

Pidgin and all it's cultural meaning and value is a given in the right context, but to accept it as a benchmark for learning is ludicrous. May I humbly point out that most Hawaiian immersion schools teach Hawaiian, not Pidgin. Hmmmmmm
"local" does not equal "Hawaiian",

If a child wants to be educated in a University outside of Hawaii, will the placement tests be done in English or Pidgin?

In hawaii placement tests are taken in pidgin? really wow!

in all reality, just because kids speak pidgin does not mean they also cannot speak "Standard" english, this is just wrong, again "local" does not equal "Hawaiian" and pidgin is just slang spoken by every ethnic group in this state. If you have had any sort of experience with people in this state beyond the imports you might find that some people can switch instantly between pidgin and "proper" english, even people that you would look and think couldn't speak proper english.

hawaii's poor schools have to do with 1 thing, the DOE . dont take your eyes off that. if you do and blame "other factors" your missing the elephant in the room.