Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Furlough Days
quote:
It sounds to me like what the DOE is going to do is continue the education of students under the IEP's, while the rest of the students in Hawaii get shorted. So someone tell me where the equity is here?
Dick, only if they MUST due to the FEDERAL law, and they are not planning to do it the right way. The only reason special needs students have laws working in their favor now is because they were treated with INEQUITY until people fought for their civil rights.

You might read this if you want some info on Hawai'i DOE's horrendous track record with special needs treatment, falling far behind the rest of the nation if respecting the civil rights of these kids.http://www.honoluluweekly.com/archives/coverstory%202001/07-04-01%20Amber/07-04-01%20Amber.html

Be sure to read far enough to get to the section titled "Banality of Non-Compliance" and beyond.
Kathy H, I don't doubt the need for protection for special needs students, I just want to see all students educations protected regardless of whether they fall into a protected class or not, no one should have to be a member of a particular class to have their civil rights protected. I find the fact that special laws are required to make the bureaucrats of the country do at least the minimum requirements of the jobs the miserable bastards are paid for ridiculous. As I suggested before, perhaps if a few of them were hung for their crimes and malfeasance on their jobs, then maybe the rest would get the idea. The article you supplied contains at least two candidates for the above treatment. It is a disgusting commentary on the state of Hawaii, that such rampant nepotism is condoned and ignored. In fact as near as I can tell expected.[Sad!]

dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
I agree it's disgusting, Dick ....

One of the inequities to special needs children, stemming from the furloughs, is that in recent years certain medical services to which they are entitled by law have been shifted from DOH to DOE. If there is a full week of school, then it makes sense for medical services to be administered without going off campus to an appointment, or having in-home care. However, if they cut the school week drastically, then the state is cutting off medical care ... and not shifting the service back to DOH, as far as I cans see. Note that the state requires special needs children receiving services in home to enroll children in public school as early as age 3 (to my knowledge), or the family gets its services cut off. The services are then received at the school, or were.

Non special needs children are not suffering a loss of health care from the furloughs. They are definitely losing out; but they don't miss out on stuff like learning how to walk and talk. Small stuff like that.
If you care about the education of our keiki, please sign this petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/hawaiieducationmatters

I apologize if the link was already in this thread, I have read it over the past week or so in bits and pieces, so I may have missed a link. It is important than we let our government know how we feel.