Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coqui Frog Eradication
I just re-read this thread and have something to share concerning the use of the chytrid fungus as a possible bio-control. I don't know where I came across this paper, this forum or a voggier one, but it says that the Chytrid fungus already exists in Coquis in Hawaii. Below is the link to the PDF of the whole monograph.

http://tinyurl.com/pscqg

The authors, Karen H. Beard and Eric M. O'Neill, conclude that the Chytrid fungus (Batrachotrytrium dendrobatidis) "should not be used as a biological control agent because it is not a species-specific pathogen, alternative hosts have not yet been identified, and it has been shown to be readily dispersed by human activities." Also, the Coquis in Hawaii already carry it with apparently no significant effect on the population.

If you google "B. dendrobatidis", or "Chytrid fungus", you'll see that it's really bad news around the world, not to be taken lightly as a bio-control.

While Hawaii has no native frog species and Cane Toads (Bufo marinus, "Poloka" in Haw) and Bullfrogs (Rana catesbeiana, "Poloka lana"Wink may also suffer from the use of the fungus, it's still a bad idea to go ahead and use it without doing careful studies first. Hawaii's insular biogeography is particularly susceptible to these kinds of changes.

It's interesting to find out that Cane Toads were introduced to Hawaii in 1932, from Puerto Rico, home of the Coqui! They are not native to PR but were introduced there from Mexico or South America. They are also native to South Texas. They were mistakenly thought to be an effective control of a grub that ate cane, as well as black slugs, Giant African Snails, and rats. Most of these assumptions proved wrong, but not until after they were introduced to Australia and much of the Pacific Is. from Hawaii. My herpetology field guide says that they are not a significant problem in Hawaii, as long as your dog or cat hasn't tried to eat one. But there is a video documentary about the Cane Toad in Australia that shows people in as much of an uproar about them as some people are with the Coquis here.

Bullfrogs were introduced as a possible food resource, froglegs, in the late 1800's but that didn't pan out, pun intended. I haven't been able to find out if they are a significant problem in Hawaii, as they are in CA. These were introduced from Contra Costa County, just inland from the SF Bay. Later, HI bullfrogs were re-introduced back to CA, after which they've become a problem. They are not native to the West Coast. They'll eat anything smaller than themselves.

There is one more introduced frog species from Asia, the Wrinkled Frog, Rana rugosa. This small frog is considered to be beneficial with low impact to the environment. They are found only in or around mid to low elevation mountain streams which limits them to an area from Hilo north to the Kohala Mtns. They are eaten by bullfrogs.

Another prospective food resource introduction, the Apple Snails that plague the Waipio Valley taro farmers, was hoped to provide escargot for restaurants. In their native range, these snails are almost the exclusive food resource for the endangered Snail Kite of the Florida Everglades. But, this is probably not a good reason to introduce Snail Kites to Waipio Valley as a bio-control. :-)

Sorry about going on about the extraneous stuff, but it's useful to be aware that many organisms were brought to Hawaii with not enough knowledge regarding various impacts.

Les

Edited by - Les C on 08/29/2006 12:05:41
Here's a link to a blog I started for the coqui information, any new findings will be posted here.
http://coquifrognews.blogspot.com/

Don't shoot the messenger.
I would like to add my two cents to this disscussion. As a former resident of both Puerto Rico and Hawaii, I understand the feeling most Hawaiians feel towards "invasive species", but I think in the process of trying to rid the islands of this rapidly multiplying creature, you are doing as much or more damage by introducing chemicals (both natural and inorganic)to the enviornment.

What I find to be amazing is that in Puerto Rico, the coqui is loved by all. It even has a freeway named after it. Living in Puerto Rico was my first experience with the little tree frog, I guess that's why I learned to love it. I remember driving in Ceiba on the East side of the island, and while driving through some of the country roads, I could hear the coqui's sound over my car stereo (and it was loud) with the windows closed. Although they were loud, I likened it to the sounds of crickets in the country. I really liked the sound, and it actually helped me to sleep at night. I would also like to add that I grew up in Brooklyn New York, and as a child I would constantly be woken up by police and fire sirens..........I would take the coqui over the sirens any day of the week!

Ronny

Edited by - rgerman on 09/11/2006 18:09:25
aloha all,

don't know if anyone will see this or reply, as this is an older post, but during our last visit, we stayed in HPP a block or so away from our property (we have a lot on 3rd/Awa street). can anyone tell me if they've noticed that the closer you get to the coast, the less the coqui frogs like it?
just seemed a bit quiter down near the water than up in Kea'au town.

any thoughts?

mahalo,

holahan

Coqui's like moisture. The area you were staying in closer to the beach was probably drier than Kea'au.

http://www.malamaopuna.org/

About half way down page in center.

First is opportunity to borrow sprayer - second is a free lime offer.

Can't go wrong...though I don't condon nor oppose this method.

COQUÍ: A $10,000 grant from the USDA allowed us to purchase two heavy-duty sprayer/drencher units for use in eradicating Coqui frogs. The second lime/citric acid sprayer, which was doing duty in Puna mauka, is now being housed at Nanawale Estates, so there are two sprayers available for members of the public to borrow. This means that the sign-up list is moving twice as fast and the waiting time for a sprayer has been shortened. but anyone can borrow it IF they provide the chemical (citric acid or hydrate of lime), return it clean with a full tank of gas, and fill out a report form. To reserve a unit or for more info, call Liz at 965-8080. A big mahalo to Nanawale for their cooperation.
See the "Caring for Our Land" article,
Coqui Problem Increasing Exponentially

NOW AVAILABLE: FREE HYDRATE OF LIME FOR COQUI CONTROL !!
Vouchers are available at Malama O Puna for 50 pound bags of hydrated lime, Just pick up a voucher and go to BEI Hawaii, located at 430 Kekuanaua in Hilo. Page will be updated when it becomes available. Please check back.

"Puna Gnome for President"
Some friends of my DH flew into Hilo yesterday. They are staying at a B & B on Reed's Island which is a housing area behind the main library in Hilo. Lovely B & B, nice house, great hot tub, overlooking the rather noisy Wailuku river with waterfalls over all the rocks. We were wondering if the river would keep them awake at night since even during the day you had to talk a little bit louder to be heard over the sound of the river. When we dropped them off at the B & B last night, it was definitely not the river which was going to keep them awake. Coqui frogs! Auwe! Louder than the river and that's a loud river! We will see if they will get any sleep tonight, but I doubt if they will be return visitors to that particular B & B. They may end up driving out to our house tonight if they didn't get any sleep last night even though the B & B has a two night minimum and they may have to forfeit the fee.

The yard for that house had loads of greenery right up to the sides of the house and the frogs were within a few feet of the windows. We listened as we drove down the street and some houses were much quieter than others so there is probably some sort of frog control at the different houses along the street.

I don't think the spraying is going to eradicate the coqui completely, however it does at least temporarily control it and hopefully will keep it from spreading into new areas. It is also at least be a delaying tactic until they come up with a better answer. We need either a predator that will eat the frogs or something along the lines of the fungus or viral disease which will take out the frog population en masse.

Don't dense populations of things generally create their own demises? It seems when there is a whole bunch of one thing in an area, then the other things which eat that show up in droves. One can hope it would work that way with these frogs, but maybe since these frogs got here by human intervention the frog predator would need the same vector? Humans upset the ecological balance here, humans will probably have to fix it, but we seem such an ignorant species to rely on! At least ignorance is repairable.

A hui hou,
Cathy

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Aloha,
I'm thinking live coquis would make great bait for all you fisherman out there.

Lee

Hello, Cathy if you can take some time and read the information here: http://coquifrognews.blogspot.com
it may help, if you already have...do have any questions?
The frog wouldn't survive in the ocean. But maybe in the streams.