Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Industrial equipment registrations?
Does the state of Hawaii require or maintain registrations on heavy equipment such as Backhoes, Dozers, Tractors, etc?
We're thinking about buying a Backhoe/Loader but the person selling it doesn't have any registration paperwork.
Is that the way it's done out here? Just write up a bill of sale?

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
Simple but unusual question. Call the DMV and let us know the answer.

My guess is a bill of sale is all there is to it.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Yachts are just a bill of sale, too. Don't give the state any bright ideas, they have enough things to charge us for already. I'm sure they wouldn't register them for free, now would they?

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
In Washington Yachts are registered each year (any watercraft over 16 foot or with engine because they use public water ways, there's no public waterways here, it's nearly all Ocean).
How on Earth can you know if you're buying a legit machine and not a stolen one?
A very bright idea for some peace of mind if you can keep the registration/title permanent till sold. A one time title fee would put a huge kink in stealing such equipment to re-sell.
I did call motor vehicles and the police department because the DMV folks weren't certain and only knew that thier department didn't register them. The police department said no registration on such equipment as it falls under farm/agricultural equipment.
I say a tiny token Title fee upon ownership transfer is a smart idea, I would back it.
When you dump 10k - 1.5 million on such equipment... you don't want to later find it was stolen and have it siezed from you.

back in the old days a mans horse not only took him from point a to point b it also tilled the farm. Stealing a horse was a very serious matter. When cars came along they finally adopted the title to make certain a given vehicle belonged to that person. The same should apply to any like type machinery as it often used to earn an income. Leaving it open to be stolen and virtually none trackable through sales is foolish (not too bright).

Equipment is usually financed which means the lender will require insurance .There may be a data base like "Car Fax " that insurers and lenders use. Google the serial number etc. ....see if you get any hits.
Unfortunatly, I rather doubt we're dealing with the original owner or any of the previos owners who may have used financing. I've checked many serial numbers and you're lucky if you can find the year of manufacture let alone any history reports.
It's just the way things are done here... it would be nice to see a practice of state recorded titles and tranfer slips on these things though.

Not just here. I bought all my tractor stuff while in Ga. The only record was with the dealer.

A simple title system? No way the state/county would do it simple or low cost. Bet they'd be willing to tax it though. Oh wait, the big stuff could affect union $$.

David

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident