Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Vogcano reality
Aloha all,
What do you think will be the long term implications for real estate prices if the vog continues for decades?
Its already been continuing for decades so the affect should be apparent.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Mahalo Rob, I realize that there has allways been vog, but I am talking about the last few years since it has increased. Do you think the affect on real estate prices has already occured. What if it was to get 2, 3, 5 times worse than it is now?
Aloha
Personally I don't know how anyone could live in Kau or Kona with how it has been the past couple years. I had some friends staying in Kona 2 years ago after Halema'uma'u started up and they didn't see the sun in a week. They loved it in the past, but this killed it for them and they've gone to Maui instead. I only spend a few nights a year on the Kona side, but clear days have been the exception, and the clearest days aren't how they were before 08. I don't know how it couldn't affect prices. Hilo and Puna have been much less dramatically impacted by the vog so I don't see that recent activity would be having much effect on prices.
Have you noticed prices on Kona side recently, especially condos? They are dropping like off a cliff. But folks, we're on TBI. Duh! The farther away from the vog the less health problems. When the vog wanders into Volcano it can be pretty bad. I was one of tourist shops near Captain Cook when the vog was pretty bad recently and a couple were complaining to the store person. "Why didn't anyone tell us?" On the other hand, when the volcano is more active - more tourists in Volcano. Driving back the southern route not too long ago I couldn't believe how bad it was in Ocean View. Much worse than ever in Volcano. If Kilauea actually starts erupting like in the early 70s, the vog will stop. The lava pool has been pretty close to the surface the last few months. I love the darn thing. Keeps the riff raff out.
If the current high levels of Vog continue, I'm sure it's going to impact the Real estate market in Ka'u and Kona. Recent history has shown a more intermitant pattern of Vog, and Kona has been able to keep it under wraps.

The present continous high levels are a different story.

If you really want to see a dramatic impact on real estate, wait until the lava takes out a few homes. People have a short attention span though, and the market rises when their attention is shifted elsewhere.