Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cholesterol screening?
is there a clinic that one can go for this without paying an exorbitant amount?

what about having your blood pressure checked?

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

They have free blood pressure machines at the Walmart pharmacy.

As far as cholesteral goes;

I've had high numbers and was scheduled to go on Lipitor like drugs with many ugly side effects. I changed my diet and started excercising more. The result was a drop in weight AND cholesteral.

If you're past middle age; eat a lot of meat, dairy, and don't work out much, you don't need a test to tell you your cholesteral is probably high.

If you don't have insurance and can't afford regular checks, I suggest:

1. Daily, heart pumping, excercise for 30 minutes.

2. Eating as much as you want of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and salads. (beans + brown rice = complete protein)

3. Quit the milk, cheese, flour, red meat, sugar etc.

Eventually, you adjust to this more healthy diet and will even feel sick when you occasionally cheat a little.[}Smile]

I'm not a Health care profesional; but ask one and see if they don't agree with me.

do an internet search for any of the local "medical clinical testing labs" - in your area

lipid panel and glucose averages 75$ or so retail. Some offer big discounts (up to 50%) for cash over insurance billing it pays to shop.

I think they will let you order your own tests - I usually have my dr fax up a wish list - at 50$ or so for the testing and a box of mac nuts to his office, good value - inmho
I know that the UHH College of Pharmacy has offered cholesterol screening at some of the Health Fairs around Hilo, also seem to remember that another group was doing it in the Keaau Shopping Center a few months ago (within the last year...)...both were free or 'pocket change' type prices....

ETA: Check out the EMS Fun Run/Walk & health fair this Sunday morning in Liliokalani Park.... no idea what they are offering, but this is the type of fair that sometimes has the screenings.... I can email you the contact info (I try not to put someone else's info on the web without permission)

Most of the pharmacies around the east side have free blood pressure machines.
Last year at the walk they had diabetes screening, cholesterol, etc. It was across the walkway from the bentos LOL!! Fun was had by all!

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com
http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
I think you can also get your blood pressure by a fire station emt.
You might want to check with Shiigi Pharmacy about testing.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
thanks all for the info.

i've done a lot of what greg has mentioned and do know the side effects of "cheating". however, my levels are elevated due to genetics rather than dietary. i've also had serious side effects from statins--can't do those.

t

w. james

w. james

I had horrendous side effects from the statins also much cramping, weakness of and pain. So well there you have it hereditary problems that my ancestors managed to live with until ripe old age. Greg's regime is good for me also!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/45808476/mil...ght-sky-55

Aloha,

mella l

Art and Science
Our Future
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA