Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sept Ho'olaule'a and traffic
Thinking about ditching our Banyan Dr. hotel reservations the weekend of the Ho'olaule'a (forgive spelling if I am not correct) in Sept. in favor of checking into our HPP rental earlier.

For those of you who have been to the music festival in the past how was the traffic getting to and from? How was parking for the event?
I know there isn't much in the way of shuttles or mass transit in Hilo.

Would you stay close to downtown Hilo or is it not really a big deal?

Thanks, Susan & Dave
Banyan Dr is away from the parking issues of the music festival... Downtown is where it is AT & that is where there is NO parking, snarled traffic & all (best to use the bus...).... however Banyan is a nice place to stay if you want to walk to & from the festival
This is a UHH event with radio sponsors & multiple music stage & such. From KWXX site:
"17th Annual KWXX Ho`olaule`a in Downtown Hilo
The 17th Annual KWXX Ho`olaule`a in Downtown Hilo DATE is SET! September 25th, 2010! Expect to see 3 Stages of the BEST Island Music, Great Food Booths, Arts & Crafts and MORE!!!!"
Parking problems ? "Snarled" traffic ??? Hilo ? Come on guys ... you legs broke ?

I guess its all relative.
There are a few times (Black & white night, Merrie Monarch Parade & the 2 Ho'olaule'a come to mind) when downtown is packed & there are no parking spaces (even the Government center & Wailoa are usually full) These are also times when there are major road closures

If you have never been to one of these festivals at high tide on a good north east swell.... then you may not realize how "snarled" traffic can get in the downtown area.... if you do not understand why these things would matter...... well, then you probably have not seen downtown with the snarled traffic.... but it can happen...
The Queens birthday festival was another reason we decided to delay checking into our HPP rental. Figured we would attend the music festival and the Queens birthday and delay checking into our house rental until Sunday afternoon. It sounds like we need to stay put at the hotel and do both events. Hubby thinks the walk from Banyan drive to downtown is a stretch. Does anyone know if they sell beer/wine at either event or is it prohibited? We will have a couple of 22yr olds with us. Don't want them to make @sses of themselves stumbling back to the hotel. Texas is kinda lax on that stuff. Lots of people pull wagons with coolers of their chosen brew. Thanks for all the feedback. Our son is coming home from the Marine Corps. for good in a couple of weeks. Trying to make this trip very special for him.
The Keakaho bus does run on Saturdays, but the route is a daytime only route... so that might not be as much of an assist... HOWEVER the county usually has shuttle bus runs for the Ho'olaule'a that could run to Banyan...
Free county bus routes:
www.heleonbus.org

Most of the events in downtown are Drug/Alcohol free...and many of the county parks, including Liliokalani, are D/A free. Some people do still drink, but usually circumspectly....(there have been no cooler checks in the past, but ....)
The police have been doing more 'drunk checks' at the bus station & bandstand this summer... so I would probably advise against getting "stumbling drunk"
One fun thing to do in Hilo Bay is Kayaking... lots of neat nooks & crannies for a 'Huck Finn' type adventure on the water
Carey,

Your assumptions aside,

Been to everything the past 3 years with my toddler. We simply park a few streets mauka and walk down. Never a problem in or out. EZ as that.

People that plow into town thinking they are gonna find a dream spot are the real cause of the traffic.

Thanks everyone. That's exactly what I needed to know. I will feel better about turning the boys loose at the music festival knowing there's no alcohol. He may be a man and an ex Marine, but I am still a Mother.
Parking is rough for Ho'olaule'a. I live near downtown (Wainaku) and I have to make sure I'm parked by my house by early afternoon or I won't be able to find a parking place within a mile of my house. It is kind of cool to be able to sit on the lanai and listen to the music though.

John Dirgo, R, BIC, EcoBroker, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
John Dirgo, R, PB, EcoBroker, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
http://www.bigislandvacationrentals.com
http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com