Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emergency kit
Speaking of "Big Island Mega Disaster", what's in your emergency kit?

Like it or not, Puna is subject to earthquakes, volcanic activity and for those near the coast, tsunamis. How many weeks (months?)worth of food and water do you have stored? What else you got in there?
-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
After living through a fairly non-destructive tornado, and having no electricity for almost 1 week, and one overnight guest forgetting to turn off the electric blanket before folding the hide-a-bed (both on the mainland) we always have on hand:

several 5 gal buckets of water for flushing & 1 multi pack tp in reserve (luxury, yes, but I am spoiled)
3 gal/person drinking water
extra propane cylinder
some cash money
canned foods for at least a couple of weeks
solar/hand crank emergency radio
handful of tarps
try to always keep at least 1/2 tank fuel in car
strike anywhere matches (from old camping days)
tents & sleeping bags in dry (airtight is best) storage container (most useful with the smoke damaged house...)
at least one kayak - just for fun!
ETA: we always try to keep the frig & freezer full - but mostly with non- perishables, always have 'heat-sink' items in that will not spoil, but will help maintain cold if power goes out. A nearly empty frig will not have a lot of 'cold mass' to preserve the temp. if the power does go out....
A big shotgun is all you need.Whatever the neighbor has is yours !!!
Carey...having been your friend for nigh on 5 years, I already knew you would have your ducks in a row with this one! [Big Grin]

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
I always smile when this topic gets posted. Given the differing ways we all live here, the answer is also varied.

Living off grid, Helco power is always out in a sense, having extra fuel for the generator is common sense perhaps.

Living on catchment, the water will likely be there. How you get it may be a concern. Off grid, same as usual. On Helco, battery pump, gravity, bucket?

As for communications, whether cell or internet work is probably beyond our control and if those aren't functioning, well, back to the old days.

Food with reasonable shelf life is normal shopping for us, usually buying most canned goods by the case.

Freezer is usually full. Carey's reasoning is good.

Obie, that same shotgun might help keep what is yours, yours.

In our neighborhood, I've no doubt we'd be looking out for each other and sharing.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident