Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Special Insert about the Big Island!
Sunday 4/28 Star Advertiser has a 36 page insert on the Growing Pains of the Big Island. The special section examines the Island in three parts, including graphs on population, agriculture, subdivisions, crime, fatalities and more.

Part 1 Heart of Change has a 12 page section about Puna,
Part 2 A New Attitude the Kau district
Part 3 The Next Generation lack of opportunities for Hawaii Island youth

http://www.staradvertiser.com/specialpro...ing-pains/
I can't read it. It says I need to pay a subscription.
It's an interesting read, but it seemed too much from the viewpoint of someone from the big city (Honolulu) visiting her country cousins. 3000 houses in HPP, and the only one with a photo is a one room cabin? Here's a few quotes about Hwy 130; "most dangerous intersections in the state," monuments to the dead," that even Hawaii islanders are wary of Highway 130 is saying something, the county has the deadliest roads in the islands."
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
In other words, it's no different from all the other Oahu-centric resource mismanagement.

Nothing to see here, move along...
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

I can't read it. It says I need to pay a subscription.

1) Try again. Some readers reported getting in to view it today without a subscription.

2) If you really want to see it, pay the $1.99 for a 14 day premium pass.

3) For those outside the state, you probably qualify for the special out-of-state electronic-only subscription that runs $1.95 a month or $15 a year.
If you have multiple devices, check carefully, S-A seems to be pulling a "NY Times" (eg, a smartphone will work where a regular "computer" does not).

The articles are informative, but one-sided; they don't mention some of the issues that are caused by County's "anti-development" stance. Example: the "community planning process" is mentioned, but County's opinion that CDPs have no legal merit.

Time will tell; I'm putting the "over-under" for that "$20M Pahoa shopping center" at 5 years.
Amusing: the multiple references to a "30-minute drive to Hilo".

If everything is "drive to Hilo", fine, add more lanes to the highway, build a full cloverleaf interchange in Keaau.

If not, fine, allow the "neighborhood centers" outlined in the PCDP to be built.

Or, continue to do nothing, people will still live here "in spite of" these difficulties.