Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little fire ants
I currently live in the Catskill Mountains which has a relatively short but intense bug season. Between the black flies, which draw blood with their bites, and the no-see-ums, which swarm and and have really nasty bites that can cause allergic reactions, Hawaii, in my experience, has seemed mild in comparison. But I'm thinking the LFA could change that equation. I'm used to bugs in the country, and the centipedes, mosquitoes and spiders don't bug me much, but the LFA seem like something out of a bad 1950's science fiction movie. It's as much the unknown factor as anything else, most likely. I guess I'll just have to come out and see. But really, nothing could be worse than winter up here! That's scary!

I do really appreciate all the information you've shared - I'm starting to think that living in Puna would be worth suffering a few ant bites.
Interesting, definitely not moving to Catskills now!

To me the centipedes are worse than anything else. The bite is far worse than an ant, and it's prone to infection, plus I turn out to be allergic to them. But beyond that, they seem almost evil in the way they seek out sleeping victims. I hate worrying that something will get me while I'm at my worst vulnerable. Ants are much easier to avoid.
Paul, One huge difference between here and the Catskills is that it is always bug season. There's no winter to kill em off and get final revenge. No see ums are a nuisance and the black flies are only around for a relatively short time. But the centipedes are one nasty little bugga. More than most things, they make me glad I'm in Volcano.
LFAs are 24/7 foragers and do bite people in bed. Especially if you use creams or lotions that are attractive to them. Sometimes people first think they have bed bugs until they see an actual ant. They are also drawn to ear wax on q-tips, used band aids, scabs and dried blood and used kleenex. (Don't ask how I know, just trust me!)

I was doing recess duty 2 weeks ago in Mo'ohea Park, sitting under one of the monkey pod trees when a fire ant dropped onto my neck and got me good. I got a good look, and it was a LFA for sure, plus for me the bite has a distinct signature. I would guess they are coming into Hilo from Puna via the farmers market. Hilo is not immune to these non native invasive little terrors. We bought a flat of orchids one time that were infested, luckily we figured it out and after we thoroughly washed the plants' roots and leaves, the bark from the whole flat went into the freezer, before they spread. Nasty little critters, although centipedes and scorpions really freak me out.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I too have the LFA problem on my lot in HPP. I have a heavy infestation and had good results with the black label Amdro poison. The only problem with Amdro is, you cannot dispense it while the ground is wet/moist. And it cannot rain within 24 hours after the poison is dispensed. Being in a wet area like HPP, I have to keep on dispensing this expensive stuff to kill the LFA. But a month or so later, the LFA comes back. They are in a vacant lot adjacent to mine.

The only time the LFA stings you, is when they are "trapped" between you and your clothes(or jewelry, etc.). To date, I have been sting well over 30 times. I too am allergic to bees, wasps, fire ants, etc. I am also undergoing immunotherapy through Dr. Wang. Dr. Wang says this is the only immunotherapy that is 100% effective. I am nearing the completion of the therapy (about 9 months long).

I noticed the LFA likes to live in strawberry guava, ohia, orchids, etc. You can tell they are LFA if they are very tiny, and don't move any faster when you bother them. Also, when you blow at them, they just fly away (all other ants can grip onto whatever they are walking on).