Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seafood in Hilo?
Paulo's is a favorite of mine. I should try Kaleo's again, I suppose, but a 40 minute drive and I end up at Paulo's. Now that brings into your issue of ambiance; Paulo's is very funky. I like funky.
Follow the link if you want many opinions of the Seaside. i have found Yelp to be a pretty good source of information on where to eat.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/seaside-restaurant-the-hilo

edited to add that Miyo's actually serves quite a bit of fish and the views and atmosphere make more than make up for fact that it a little shabby around the edges. The food is really good and you can bring your own beer or wine.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Nihon - I would not recommend it other than for drinks and/or dessert on the deck. Nihon is geared for the tour bus trade (more fast prep food than well prepared food)... & the inside tables are set up most of the time in a way that you do not get window views... so no view of the bay!
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I guess we will try the Seaside since it does seem to be something of a local tradition that we have somehow missed until now.
Seaside good for food .. Otherwise pretty generic and after you eat .. (albeit delish ) you wonder what just happened.

Synopsized ... food good but nothing memorable beyond that.

Does this matter ?

Up to you.

aloha,
pog

P.S. Wish they had a lunch.
I have gotten terrific seafood meals at Kaleo's in Pahoa. The Ponds in Hilo often has a nice picatta special (lemon, white wine, capers - my fave).
Here's my report on our dinner at Seaside. We were greeted nicely and seated promptly at the time of our reservation. Service was friendly and attentive without being intrusive or overbearing throughout the evening. The timing on the service was especially good, with the intervals between drinks, starters, main course, and dessert being ideal from our point of view. Starters were good, with the calamari being a favorite. I had the macadamia nut encrusted mahi-mahi with a wonderful ginger-wasabi-chili sauce. They took a relatively common local fish and made it special with the seasoning and sauce. Bear had the New York strip steak with prawns. Steak was cooked exactly to his specifications, and the prawns were deep fried with an amazing sweet chili sauce. Our friend had the Aholehole prepared whole in a Japanese style with dikon and wasabi on the side. He was more than happy with it. Bear and I had Kona coffee mudpie for desert, and our friend had the chocolate lava cake. The mudpie was fine, but next time I'm getting that cake. It was very dark chocolate served warm with raspberry sorbet and raspberry syrup over it to give it a volcanic effect.

The place was spotlessly clean, including the men's room. We gave it three "most highly recommended" ratings.
Glad to hear it, Jerry
Seafood Dynamite dish at Kaleo's. Yeah!

My wife had it last night and it was outstanding.

Aloha,
Lee
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event
Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
Sorry I missed the boat, but just wanted to add something about The Seaside in Hilo. The first time I ate there years ago, they had Moi, not on the menu, but you can ask for it. They are raised in the fish ponds in back, the wild version can sometimes carry ciguatera. They are supposedly the fish of the Alii, reserved for Royalty & after having it, I understand why. The most delicious fish I've ever had.