Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad knees, Orthopedic Doc
Can anyone recommend a Orthopedic doctor?
I heard there was a new guy with a German sounding name
that only does surgery in Oahu and is only here
once a month. Does anyone know his name?
Mahalo
We recently used Peter Matsuura,M.D. for a broken hand on my 16 year old. Really liked him. Don't know if he does surgery, but his demeanor and overall knowledge really made us feel at ease.

670 Ponahawai St. #214, Hilo 969-3331

Office staff are really nice and the office runs on-time, like a well oiled watch.

edit: I guess he does do surgery - it says so right on his card [:I]
Always get a second opinion if going to Dr. Matsuura.

Monthly schedule for visiting doctors from Queens, also check with the Hilo clinic 935-7890 as doctors and schedules can change

http://www.queensmedicalcenter.net/healt...dHilo.html
quote:
Originally posted by hikatz

Always get a second opinion if going to Dr. Matsuura.

Always get a second opinion any time surgery is suggested as a primary treatment option.
Jeffery Harpstrite MD from the Queens medical center 888-536-2212.
If sugery is needed this is the guy, all they do is knees and hips and they do hundreds a year so they are really good at it. He did my left knee, comlpete replacement. If you need it get ready for some rehab and a bunch of pain, but worth it in the end.

The Lack

The Lack Toons
I had a truly AWFUL experience with Guttling and wouldn't suggest him to anyone, even my worst enemy. My experience with Matsuura was good.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by hikatz

Monthly schedule for visiting doctors from Queens, also check with the Hilo clinic 935-7890 as doctors and schedules can change

http://www.queensmedicalcenter.net/healt...dHilo.html

hikatz,
I am new to health care here and just hooked up with primary MD in Hilo.
You said check with the Hilo clinic. Which Hilo clinic is that?
Do they go to a specific clinic when in Hilo?
Thanks.
hawaiideborah
If you click on the link patient information you can find more info: on the clinic. [Smile]

(http://www.queensmedicalcenter.net/healt.../hilo.html)
That second opinion before surgery should be a rule... years ago (in Houston) I had an ENT keep me in the waiting room until my insurance "cleared," then when he did see me, he had scary stories to tell about my "condition," how it could spread, etc. etc. and how lucky, he had an opening in his surgery calendar next Tuesday - I should schedule for that right then, right there, before it was too late. He'd cut it all out and it would never return.

My condition was a Schwannoma, lump on a nerve, not cancer. The 3 other ENTs I have seen over the years all agree that spreading is not a risk, and removal is no guarantee that it won't return (in fact, they often do). I found the "spreading" story he told me in a medical journal, it was an anecdotal story about a string of Schwannoma between a Japanese man's ribs. 1. that's an anecdotal story of a single case, 2. mine was not between ribs, 3. I am not Japanese, I have never even visited Japan.

So, yeah, be wary of schedule stuffers, especially when they only get around once a month. Not all M.D.s are evil, but neither are they all as blatantly obvious as my ex-ENT in Houston.
Recovering from a partial right knee replacement (Oxford) on 4 Jan - 2 weeks ago. Can't believe just how good it feels. Pain level WAY less than before surgery. Walking with a cane just in case of lost balance.
Dr Thomas Owens. 521-8585
Out of Oahu with monthly hours in Hilo and Kona. Operates at No Hawaii - Waimea and Kuakini Med Center on Oahu. I opted for Kuakini rather than waiting for opening in Waimea. Flew to Honolulu on Monday the 3rd for preop/admin stuff, surgery Tues, flew back to BI Thur the 6th.
His next Hilo visit is 9 Feb.
My only complaint - WHY did I wait so long?????
David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident