Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP road work & gravel
I've noticed they're using more gravel these days on the lateral HPP roads, including ours. I find it nasty -- dusty, dirty and loud -- and worse for tires I'm sure. The last time they put down gravel, they came back with cinder on top of it, but it's been a while since the gravel went down. Does anyone know if this is what's going to happen from now on -- gravel only? I can just see a broken windshield in my future. Plus, my car is now an icky dusty gray.
cinder washes away
Seeb is right about the washout factor. I have noticed a definite improvement in the pothole situation on my road since they started using the gravel, and it doesn't seem any dustier than with cinders IMHO.
Gravel roads a huge plus. much less dust than cinder when dry. Lasts longer too. Road crew is doing a good job.

Daniel R Diamond
Daniel R Diamond

Might reduce your windshield break chances if people didn't drive 60mph down the gravel roads... speed bumps (or dips) anyone?

Check for rock /paint chips around the fenders windshield frame and b pillar - thats where rust seems to start

those little containers of matched touch up paint sold online or by the dealer work wonders
I dont live in HPP but I have gotten a chipped wind shield from the cinder there and someone zipping around me driving fast.

Cinder is so much lighter it can bounce and damage easier. The gravel will pack better. But my only other experience is my driveway. We went from cinder to gravel 3 months ago and I am so very happy to have done so. And once it rains the first time, the gravel is not as dusty.
I've twisted my ankle on the stupid gravel just trying to walk the dog. Sorry to those who think overwise, but it seems a lot dustier than cinder to me. And DEFINITELY louder. You can hear a car now from WAY down the street rather than a few houses, and all the dogs now go nuts every time a car goes by. PLUS, it's ugly. I hate the stuff.
Yes, I find it a little noisier than the red cinder but My house isn't half as dusty as it used to be. There used to be a fine red powder on all the surfaces of the house but now no red and very little of the gray or what ever color the rock is. The biggy for me is the new material doesn't float off to the side of the road when it rains and exposing all the deep holes underneath. Used to have 6-8" deep lakes just before the intersection at Maku'u. No more of that either!

Royall