Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to get a leather jacket cleaned?
I went to pack my leather jacket today, and found out it's green from mold. I'm rather irritated about this.

Is there anywhere in the Hilo/pahoa area that can dry clean or otherwise get mold off leather at a decent price?
I use a half & half mixture of alcohol & water & just clean it myself. I wouldn't trust my leather to a cleaner.
There are spots I can't get to without destroying the jacket. The liner is sown in Sad
Baking soda and water works too..
Hydrogen peroxide - the brown bottles sold at wally world - I use it on my car leather - followed by a good "hide food" Connolly Hide Care Conditioner or similar works well.

The "leather mask guy" also sells a great conditioner for leather at his stand at roads end and some of the farmers markets.

Well, I called a buddy of mine over in new York. According to him, the jacket is pretty much a loss. Told me to try something crazy and hope it works. Apparently he does it on some of his old jackets. Warm water and baby shampoo, then rinse with clean water mixed with baby conditioner. 50/50 to work or screw the jacket up.

It's a loss anyhow, the other things didn't work long Sad
The mask guy is our neighbor, and I asked him yesterday about this. He said the peroxide thing, or send it to the mainland to get it cleaned properly. He also said that the way to keep leather from molding is to handle it often. This is just not a great climate to expect anything to be stored and not used.

BTW, saw a beautiful bag he's working on!

Jane

Sweet. Thanks for checking in with him. I'll give that a whirl.