Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac Users - repair in Hilo
I went to the Apple service center in Hilo a couple months back. I have an iMac half dome desktop that just stopped booting up one day. they told me it was too much trouble to find out what is wrong as parts are nearly impossible to get and the expense outweighed the practicality. I took their word for it at the time and had myself a fancy doorstop for a few months. When I needed a fix for the malware I foolishly let attack me a week or so ago, I tried out TropicMac, which is located about a block from the actual Apple store. The guy there is certified by Apple but the shop is independent. He said "let's take a look at it" and called me back in a day with the information that all that was wrong was the ram needed to be replaced. This is at least an 8 year old machine. He upgraded it to its max of 2 GB instead of the 500 mb it had. Whole bill for service and the ram was $175.oo. Oh, wait, that also included the $50 to look at another Mac laptop for me that I decided not to spend the $350 on to repair.

He was knowledgable, gracious, and definitely a winner. Use them if you can!!

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
He must have been so busy helping you that he didn't have time for the phone or internet! lol

I'm glad that they helped you out. I had - have - a similar issue with my G5 (the computer works but the monitor is on the fritz).I took it to the Mac store who told me I should say a prayer every day that it works because it could go at any time.

I called and left a message, as well as sent an email to Tropicmac explaining the situation, asking if they could help. That was a week ago and I never heard back from them.

I sent an email to the Mac Users Group the same time as Troicmac and they got back to me the next day, but unfortunately were unable to help me.
We have had good luck dealing with TropicMac, but not with the other guys, who were rude and outrageously unhelpful (especially with repairs under Applecare). But TropicMac is a very small one man operation, so we have had best results there in person. They have been willing to fix some pretty antique macs at a very reasonable price, and were able to help my daughter replace her power block before she took off for Mexico, when "the other guys" wanted 3 weeks to do so.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb